User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing ON/OFF switch for Furrion Camera

I need to install an on/off switch or wire to the daytime running lights (DRL) for my Furrion backup/observation camera. Recommendations? schematics?

Reflection 28BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to do this as well, but I'm not going to try it without really knowing what to do. Thanks for your post, af_phyto!

I just noticed a post that says our's (2018 303) has hot-wired camera, so I need to check this out.
    Last edited by nyfingerlakes; 04-28-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @af_phyto . . . I think we need more information. How is DRL (truck headlights only . . . no connection to the trailer) interacting with your trailer backup camera?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solitude 372WB.... would like to do as well.... I just use the ladder and disconnect when parked... pain...
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    Solitude 372WB.... would like to do as well.... I just use the ladder and disconnect when parked... pain...
    I think that is a good option rather than wiring in. The wiring in doesn't seem too bad of a task but if you can get around it, great.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    @af_phyto . . . I think we need more information. How is DRL (truck headlights only . . . no connection to the trailer) interacting with your trailer backup camera?

Rob
    apologies for the confusion. Not tying in to the DRL but to the 5th wheel's wiring harness.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about something like this. Then you can turn it off and on automatically. Simple to wire in, no climbing ladders. If/when I put a backup camera in I think I will go this way or something similar.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01A6VPCYG/...c-c5b0dbebe95a

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been a gillion post on this. Usually you will wire the observation camera into the running lights. Then when you TV head lights are on the observation camera is on. Most of the time the camera is hard wired directly from the battery, so when you have the battery connected the camera is on.

There are other post where the super smart person wired a toggle switch in the main area of the RV, usually mounting the switch in a cabinet. Then with a flip of the switch the camera is on/off (personally I'd forget where I put the switch). Most of the time your dealer can set up an appointment to do this (if you don't want to tackle it) or you can call an electrician to do it. Takes about an hour for us non-electrical folks about half-hour for others.

Do a search on Furrion Observation Cameras.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by af_phyto View Post
    I need to install an on/off switch or wire to the daytime running lights (DRL) for my Furrion backup/observation camera. Recommendations? schematics? Reflection 28BH
    I re-wired mine to the marker lights. I removed the camera and the center marker light, fished wire between the two holes, and spliced the marker light's power to the camera. Whenever I need the camera I turn the truck's lights on; works great.

Frustrating that so many of us have to deal with this. There are reports of the camera mount's power being connected to a variety of hot wires - whatever the GD installer grabs first I guess - but my camera mount power wasn't connected to anything. The raggedy factory connection looked like it had been pulled apart while wires were being stuffed back into the cavity.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wire the camera to the running lights if they aren't already. Very easy to do. Why over complicate it.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4