User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we upgrade rear of truck?

Hey all, Not sure if I'm asking the right questions.... but here goes.

You can see we have an '01 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel, 4WD. We have original shocks, and they're fine. But the question we have is should we consider upgrading to something more heavy duty? Or as I've seen people mention here.. airbags?

When we say the shocks are fine, they are... for the everyday normal stuff we do. But towing something this big and heavy, we started to wonder if we should consider something more. And which option is better... shocks or airbags? And then of course the next question.... certain brands, or styles of either?

We've recently gone full-time, so all of life's possessions are with us. When we moved the RV here in the park to a monthly spot, I didn't notice any sagging in the rear, and it actually looked level. But that was a quick little short drive, and we're going to be eventually doing much more than that.

Maybe it would be over-kill by upgrading, but I don't think it would hurt either. Going forward, we just want to be sure that we're doing the right things and taking all into consideration.

Thanks for any suggestions, or ideas!
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air bags are a great addition to level out the tow vehicle. From your other thread you state you've done plenty of research on weight capacities so I imagine you aren't doing this to increase payload capacity (there is no aftermarket addition that will accomplish this). I'm a fan of the Air Lift air bags, they go directly between the frame and axle and are not too difficult to install. There are different versions, just check out the web site. Shocks should still be replaced if they are original on an 18 year old vehicle, they are wear items and most likely need replacement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lynette & Steve,

Airbags will level your TV and stabilize the towing ride . . . but should only be done if you are sure that you are within your rear axle and payload ratings.

Your shocks are probably not “fine”. Shocks should be changed when you change worn out tires. Both wear out in about the same mileage. Even replacing the shocks with original equipment service parts will probably provide a noticeable improvement. Most aftermarket shocks will give you a rougher ride . . . it’s part of their “proof” that you got something for your money .

BTW . . . I have airbags and OE replacement shocks on my truck .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... we know the shocks have to be replaced. Ok, dear husband already knew that (I didn't [emoji37]).

Adding airbags though is something we should consider. Oh, we're not trying to increase any payload capacity though. Just want to ensure that we're level and supported.

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and thanks FT4NOW, we'll check those out.....Air Lift air bags....

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on advice from @FT4NOW re the Airlift airbags that go under the frame rather than bolted to the side of the frame like others. (I have this same system). If you want to go all out, get the Airlift Wireless One on-board compressor and controller . . . you can change airbag pressure with the push of a button.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! You're all the best!

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Thanks guys! You're all the best!

Lynette--don't know if you saw the thread on my install and saga to get my setup level: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...eveling-My-Rig

This is a related thread, too, if you go with the Airlift system: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Air-Compressor

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 on the Air Lifts... Installed them on my '01 F-250 wt same 7.3, when purchased new, so theyve been tested. Come with a lifetime warranty and the only failure I ever had, was when one side of a U clamp broke off. Tire rotation caught it.
    I now check them for proper torque every few months.
    I also replaced the Ford OEM shocks with Bilsteins, which have held up very well to nationwide road conditions.

As Rob mentioned, and I concur, rear axle weight ratings is probably THE most important spec to adhere to.

" Respect the specs" .....[emoji4]

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    X3 on the Air Lifts... Installed them on my '01 F-250 wt same 7.3, when purchased new, so theyve been tested. Come with a lifetime warranty and the only failure I ever had, was when one side of a U clamp broke off. Tire rotation caught it.
    I now check them for proper torque every few months.
    I also replaced the Ford OEM shocks with Bilsteins, which have held up very well to nationwide road conditions.

As Rob mentioned, and I concur, rear axle weight ratings is probably THE most important spec to adhere to.

" Respect the specs" .....[emoji4]

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Rob states that rear axle and payload are important where I concur. You can be under your rear axle rating and still be above the payload rating which would not be good. Airbags allow you to level out and can provide some additional clearance on the rear axle to jounce bumper for those rough road conditions that we occasionally encounter. Airbags and other devices will not raise any of the ratings listed in the door jamb of the TV.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4