User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer Sway

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on the advice from Jim @MidwestCamper

My HDPP F150 came with 80 psi E spec LT tires. The door label specs are 55 psi front and 60 psi rear to meet the payload specs. I run 50 psi all round when not towing. From label specs, I up the rears by 10 psi (to 70) and the fronts by 5 psi (to 60) when towing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled a lot of big cargo trailers out west. We’d take them out for a 6 to 8 week test. Since I was the only one who could drive it, I’d fly home for a couple of weeks in the middle, then fly out to bring it home. One trip I needed to be home right before the end of the test, and they loaded the trailer without me. None of them had a clue about balancing the load and they got it tongue heavy. Took too much weight off my front axle, and the truck and trailer just felt like it would get shoved around when something passed or even if a hill blocked the wind.

Spent three hours in the heat of the day at the Love’s at Gila Bend moving light stuff forward and heavy stuff back as well as cussing all those jerks who were getting drink service on their flights home. Closed up about 3” of gap between the tops of the front tires and the body and it made a world of difference. It was really a lot like driving on ice when it was tongue heavy. It would start to wander and then I’d overcorrect. Just not a comfortable ride.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MWCamper: I'm doing a 3 hour ride this weekend without the trailer and I'm going to air down the tires from 65 to 40 to see if it helps with the ride. I priced new wheels to change out the tires and that was another >$1100. If this helps to smooth things out I will hold off and just air the tires back up to 65-70 for a pull over the Memorial holiday weekend. Good suggestion!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOJO View Post
    MWCamper: I'm doing a 3 hour ride this weekend without the trailer and I'm going to air down the tires from 65 to 40 to see if it helps with the ride. I priced new wheels to change out the tires and that was another >$1100. If this helps to smooth things out I will hold off and just air the tires back up to 65-70 for a pull over the Memorial holiday weekend. Good suggestion!
    Sounds like a recipe for a blowout.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123