User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyK View Post
    In BC if you have a 1 ton truck it is considered a commercial vehicle and you will find on the bottom of your insurance saying that you must have the correct license if towing.
    A 1 ton SRW or DRW can still tow up to 10,000lbs on a regular licence just like any other vehicle on the road in BC. The commercial designation is only for insurance purposes... not licencing. Just like regular vehicles, towing a trailer over 10,000lbs in BC requires either the heavy trailer endorsement (commercial or house trailer) or a higher class of licence.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    A 1 ton SRW or DRW can still tow up to 10,000lbs on a regular licence just like any other vehicle on the road in BC. The commercial designation is only for insurance purposes... not licencing. Just like regular vehicles, towing a trailer over 10,000lbs in BC requires either the heavy trailer endorsement (commercial or house trailer) or a higher class of licence.
    I did say the quote was on the insurance papers. It is up to you to make sure you have the right license to tow..

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a class 7 course that was offered through a driving school.
    This is a great video of what the examiner is looking for and listening for. I forgot to check my fuel cap!!
    https://youtu.be/XCUS7hMe-0s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel towing Regs are Usually different

Quote Originally Posted by Mystudiois View Post
    Just an FYI thread here, specific to BC trailer owners.
    Our neighbour thankfully let us know some licensing additions we had no clue about.

First of all mad as hell NO-ONE informed us of this..
    Not the dealer, not the finance guy, not the "trainer" dude when we picked up, not the insurance agent, nobody!

To legally tow a trailer over 4600Kg (Which our 310GK is) you need to do both a written test and road test to obtain what they call a
    07 "House Trailer" endorsement (From ICBC)
    If you do not and are in any kind of accident, your insurance is void and you could have the trailer completely off the road (not able to tow at all) until such time you at least to the written portion (test) and obtain the successful "learners permit".

You can also be legal with a class 1 or 3 on your license, (air brake or otherwise) but NOT with a standard class 5.
    Needless to say I will be informing the dealer about my displeasure in not being informed of this, as well as the insurance agent!

I am unaware of any additional specifics in other provinces, nor in the states.. But do yourself a favour and double/triple check you are licensed properly!!

Hopefully this saves someone some headaches out there in the event of mishaps!
    (Shame on the sales process!!)
    Ry
    In Ontario, the max limit of 4600Kg applies to the axles on the RV and NOT the GVWR. When I first started towing, I ran into the same problem here that no one told me about the limit but said it was fine. After a lot of checking and calling the licence bureau and ministry of transport in Ontario, I found out that the RV towing limit was different for 5th wheel RV's.

Check to see if BC has similar regulations for 5th wheel camper trailers (RVs) as opposed to trailers being towed on a hitch ball. The Drivers Licence bureau should have this information or if not, check with the ministry of transport for BC. Although provincial regs are different, they are usually consistent throughout Canada.

Make sure you ask for regulations for non-commercial use as in personal camper 5th Wheel trailers. It doesn't matter how your pick-up truck is classified as it depends on your usage. We have the same issue in Ontario as they classify all pick-up trucks as commercial. That through me in the beginning too. In fact, the licence bureau requires us to sign a waiver that we are using our truck for personal use inorder to get our annual truck plate.

Please report back what you find.
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 05-17-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarify not for commercial use
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terrysawchuk61 View Post
    I took a class 7 course that was offered through a driving school.
    This is a great video of what the examiner is looking for and listening for. I forgot to check my fuel cap!!
    https://youtu.be/XCUS7hMe-0s
    @terrysawchuk61 any relation to the famous goalie?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Findings direct from ICBC.

Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    In Ontario, the max limit of 4600Kg applies to the axles on the RV and NOT the GVWR. When I first started towing, I ran into the same problem here that no one told me about the limit but said it was fine. After a lot of checking and calling the licence bureau and ministry of transport in Ontario, I found out that the RV towing limit was different for 5th wheel RV's.

Check to see if BC has similar regulations for 5th wheel camper trailers (RVs) as opposed to trailers being towed on a hitch ball. The Drivers Licence bureau should have this information or if not, check with the ministry of transport for BC. Although provincial regs are different, they are usually consistent throughout Canada.

Make sure you ask for regulations for non-commercial use as in personal camper 5th Wheel trailers. It doesn't matter how your pick-up truck is classified as it depends on your usage. We have the same issue in Ontario as they classify all pick-up trucks as commercial. That through me in the beginning too. In fact, the licence bureau requires us to sign a waiver that we are using our truck for personal use inorder to get our annual truck plate.

Please report back what you find.

Thanks for the info above!
    After searching around for "actual regulations" it seems as though ICBC does not consider axles, but GVW as the standard. (I have included their info sheet for reference)
    In part, here..
    How much weight can be towed with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence?

A Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence allows
    you to tow a trailer weighing up to 4,600 kg gross vehicle weight (GVW). GVW refers to the combined weight of the towed vehicle (trailer) and its load. If a trailer weighs 4,000 kg when empty you may tow the trailer with a Class 4, 5 or 7 (novice) driver’s licence. However, once you load the trailer with food, water and/or other items the GVW may exceed 4,600 kg.

What about towing a trailer more than 4,600 kg GVW?

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than
    4,600 kg GVW and have Class 4 or Class 5 driver’s licence, you’ll need to upgrade your driver’s licence. A Class 7 novice driver’s licence cannot be upgraded to permit towing a trailer weighing more than 4,600 kg GVW.

How does towing a trailer affect my insurance?

If the weight of the trailer and contents exceeds 4,600 kg GVW and the driver does not have the correct driver’s licence or driver’s licence endorsement, the driver isn’t legally licensed to operate that vehicle combination.
    Without the appropriate driver’s licence class, drivers could be in breach of their insurance in the event of a crash.

No mention at all about axles.

Further, after a runaround..
    (ICBC rep said it was dealer responsibility to inform, dealer says its ICBC's fault, etc.. etc..)
    Our dealer actually said.. "There are 10's of thousands of RVs out there that do not have the endorsement".
    Funny, again, that no-one mentioned this at all. Not even the insurance agent when we got it (ICBC insurance).
    I do feel however that everyone SHOULD get it. Safer the better..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICBC licensing-recreational.pdf 
Views:	0 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	20246

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just left BC, this is a fascinating thread.

One of the early posts said "not sure how it is in the states," or something to that effect.

In the states it is up to each state to determine if there is an enhanced license required to tow over XXXX pounds. In Maine (my current state of licensure), I'm OK with a normal driver's license up to a GCVW of 26K which my F350 dually and 310GK is under. Some states have much lower limits, and this has been discussed in many threads in this forum before.

Because the states recognize the validity of each others' licensing laws, I am legal to drive anywhere in the US even if a native driver in a particular state would require an enhanced license.

However, it never even crossed my mind as to whether the Canadian provinces would also treat my driving privileges in the same way. I'm not insured by ICBC of course, but the thoughts still linger.

Does anyone on the forum know about provincial recognition of state's driving license privileges? Is it uniform? Is it fully reciprocal as it is in the states?

Thanks for any input.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    Having just left BC, this is a fascinating thread.

One of the early posts said "not sure how it is in the states," or something to that effect.

In the states it is up to each state to determine if there is an enhanced license required to tow over XXXX pounds. In Maine (my current state of licensure), I'm OK with a normal driver's license up to a GCVW of 26K which my F350 dually and 310GK is under. Some states have much lower limits, and this has been discussed in many threads in this forum before.

Because the states recognize the validity of each others' licensing laws, I am legal to drive anywhere in the US even if a native driver in a particular state would require an enhanced license.

However, it never even crossed my mind as to whether the Canadian provinces would also treat my driving privileges in the same way. I'm not insured by ICBC of course, but the thoughts still linger.

Does anyone on the forum know about provincial recognition of state's driving license privileges? Is it uniform? Is it fully reciprocal as it is in the states?

Thanks for any input.
    In Canada your US licensing is taken at face value. If your license and rig is valid at home, it’s valid here.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken our trailer to Alberta and B.C. I spoke to the RCMP and they recognize our American driver's license and registration requirements, so long as your rig complies with the regulations in the state they were issued.

In fact, we had a delay in receiving our license plate or the trailer. So when did went through Alberta and B.C., all we had was the temporary registration. At that time California did not issue temp license plates. I was worried that I'd get pulled over for having no plate on the trailer, but all sorts of law enforcement vehicles cruised right on by us and never gave us a second look. The only law enforcement who asked about the plate was the US Border Patrol when we crossed back into the States.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Ontario Class G Drivers Licence:

Any automobile, small truck or combination of vehicles that do not weigh or have a registered gross weight of over 11,000 kg (24,250 lbs) provided the towed vehicle does not weigh more than 4,600 kg (10,141 lbs)

Special Note: A pick-up truck towing a 2 axle house trailer by a fifth wheel will be deemed a Class G vehicle provided the combined gross weight is not in excess of 11,000 kg. (24,250 lbs)
    As an addendum to my earlier post about Ontario, Canada regulations . . . it has bee pointed out to me that the legislation (last updated in 2011) includes the following statement: "This proposal applies to RVs hitched to a pick up truck by means of a fifth-wheel hitch assembly with only one recreational vehicle being towed. No other type of towed vehicle is eligible for this proposal"

This raises the question of what is considered to be a "fifth-wheel hitch assembly". Does this include gooseneck or Andersen "cup and ball" hitches? I don't know the answer to this, but this might be worth investigating for anyone towing with one of these setups on an Ontario "G" licence.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast