User Tag List

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some questions about the full body paint process

I have some questions about the process Grand Design uses for their full body paint (FBP). Our salesman said the RV goes to paint with no external components after a complete PDI. Once painted, the RV goes back to have external components installed and then a second PDI prior to shipping.

My questions...
    1- Does Grand Design do the paining or is it outsourced? If outsourced, what company is doing the painting?
    2- How many coats of clear coat do they apply?
    3- Do they sand between layers of clear coat?
    4- How long does the painting process itself actually take?
    5- Do they bake the paint on?
    6- Does Grand Design take any precautions to protect the lower front section of the RV during shipping?

Thanks for any inside information you may have!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

You might consider posting this in the Tech Corner where Emily will see it and get some answers for you from GD.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian . . . I am going to move this to the Maunufacturer’s Corner, because I think you should have answers to these questions directly from GDRV. (I also tagged Emily)

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-31-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about doing that initially but I don't like bugging them. I know how busy they are. Of course, I'd much prefer hearing from GD directly! Thanks for moving it!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I have some questions about the process Grand Design uses for their full body paint (FBP). Our salesman said the RV goes to paint with no external components after a complete PDI. Once painted, the RV goes back to have external components installed and then a second PDI prior to shipping.

My questions...
    1- Does Grand Design do the paining or is it outsourced? If outsourced, what company is doing the painting?
    6- Does Grand Design take any precautions to protect the front of the RV during shipping?

Good afternoon! Thank you for the Tag Rob!

I am going to get this info over to you asap. I have to finalize a few of the questions that I do not have answers to. As soon as I do, you will get a reply!

Thank you!

Emily

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

My questions...
    6- Does Grand Design take any precautions to protect the lower front section of the RV during shipping?

OK! I think I have answers for you! I hope this helps you out. See below:

1- Does Grand Design do the paining or is it outsourced? Outsourced If outsourced, what company is doing the painting? Precision Paint, Bremen IN
    2- How many coats of clear coat do they apply? 2 layers
    3- Do they sand between layers of clear coat? Yes
    4- How long does the painting process itself actually take? Varies, due to demand we did get behind. We’ve told dealers from order date to completion it is approximately 12 weeks. Goal is: unit at paint 2 weeks or less after off line at GD, 6 more days after unit returns to GD. Not at this goal yet but working towards it. We also have to adhere to the paint shop schedule
    5- Do they bake the paint on? Yes it goes into an oven.
    6- Does Grand Design take any precautions to protect the front of the RV during shipping? Only in winter and only if dealer agrees to up-charge. Some areas we insist dealer wrap front in winter. I am referring to when unit ships to dealer. In Between the paint shop and GD we do not cover the front. The paint shops is approximately 1 hour away

OK. so to answer your initial question and to clarify the last question.... YES the unit goes over as a "snowball" with really no outside components on it. A PDI is performed prior to it leaving and then when it returns, the paint job is included in the remainder of the detailed PDI inspection which includes inspecting any of the components added after paint. So if there is damage to the paint job upon arrival to our shop, we have a rep that comes and handles the paint repair necessary. This is rare that this happens!

Our paint shop is one of the best around. I personally live where they are located and they paint for many of the higher end manufacturers both towable and motorized.

PHew! I hope we got them all for you!

If you have more questions let me know!

~Emily

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emily - excellent detailed feedback......good stuff ! Take a breath and a another sip of morning beverage.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Emily - excellent detailed feedback......good stuff ! Take a breath and a another sip of morning beverage.

Dan
    I just might do that

I actually have to go winterize my camper.... and it is getting recorded for an FAQ... so this should be interesting!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Emily! This information is really helpful. Now that we better understand the painting process we can share this information with others in the future.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emily I don't have the full body paint (FBP) and so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, just to share with you as a factory rep.....I've read on the facebook GD groups where some owners have got their rigs with FBP and they remove the door lock to install the RV Lock (combination lock in place of the keyed lock) that many of us are using (and is present here at the Central California Grand Design Rally this weekend) and it leaves a space around the new lock that did not get painted at the factory.

In other words, apparently the door lock is installed when they paint it and it's just masked off instead of removing it. Since so many change out to the RV Lock, it might be a good idea to remove the lock before painting so as not to leave a large foot print around the lock opening. Something to consider.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg