User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the newer Fords (2017+) you have to push the brake pedal AFTER the truck is running AND the trailer is connected to get power on the 12v "hot" pin.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I never checked that part. I just assumed that since the screen said trailer connected and the lights were working everything else worked (batt is at 4 dots when running) Silly me. Will be checking this out on my 2018 F-350
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    With the newer Fords (2017+) you have to push the brake pedal AFTER the truck is running AND the trailer is connected to get power on the 12v "hot" pin.

Chris
    How did you figure this out? I don't think that is so... So no power without trailer is connected? Let me check Be right back.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post

Chris
    Not true, Just have to have truck running, 12V on black charge pin on 7 way. Just verified.
    2017 GD 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 7 pin had a catastrophic failure while we were towing our GD. Plugged it in, set off down the road, and after a couple bumps we totally lost brakes in the trailer. Not that the brakes were out in the trailer, there was no electrical connection at the 7 way.

Took the trailer to the dealer and had them test it out, they told me the problem was with the truck. Took the truck to the dealer, they told me the problem was with the trailer. Imagine that...

Had them double check the truck 7 way and they found it was not sending any electrical signal between the in-dash brake system and the 7 way.

They replaced the 7 way, and that worked for a while. I still get sporadic outages going down the road where the trailer braking system seems to stop working.

I took a multi-meter out and the 7 way is sending a signal. Guess when the weather breaks, I'm going to need to take the truck back to the dealer and have them replace the 7 way again.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    My 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 7 pin had a catastrophic failure while we were towing our GD. Plugged it in, set off down the road, and after a couple bumps we totally lost brakes in the trailer. Not that the brakes were out in the trailer, there was no electrical connection at the 7 way.

Took the trailer to the dealer and had them test it out, they told me the problem was with the truck. Took the truck to the dealer, they told me the problem was with the trailer. Imagine that...

Follow the wire's from the 7 pin connection forward
    Had them double check the truck 7 way and they found it was not sending any electrical signal between the in-dash brake system and the 7 way.

They replaced the 7 way, and that worked for a while. I still get sporadic outages going down the road where the trailer braking system seems to stop working.

I took a multi-meter out and the 7 way is sending a signal. Guess when the weather breaks, I'm going to need to take the truck back to the dealer and have them replace the 7 way again.
    Follow the wire's from the 7 pin plug forward on the truck. There should be a connection not too far away that is good for going bad. Had that happen once where it would lose it's ground on occasion.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang...I wonder if any of us know lol. These trucks are getting to complicated...you have to plug in trailer, make sure door is open, start truck, push brake pedal, get out and do 3 pushups and 6 situps, pray to the RV Gods that you have brakes when you need them lol!! Dang your drunk driving tests are tough(from movie the Man with two Brains....Steve Martin)
    Last edited by Txfivver; 03-26-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    How did you figure this out? I don't think that is so... So no power without trailer is connected? Let me check Be right back.
    Not true, Just have to have truck running, 12V on black charge pin on 7 way. Just verified.
    I stand corrected (I should know better then believe everything I read on the internet ). But seriously, these truck are to smart, they can (and do!) change behavior. On my truck (2017 Job 2 F-350), there is NO power on the Bat/+12v pin unless the trailer is connected. I learned that plugging in the trailer is ALL that is required. I do not have to push the brake pedal. I just did the following test;

Voltage measure between pin 4 (Bat +) and pin 1 (Ground) on the in-bed 7 pin connector.

Truck off. No trailer - 0V measured between Bat+ and gnd at 7 pin connector.
    Truck running - 0V
    Press brake pedal - 0V
    Release brake pedal - 0V
    Connect trailer - 14.56V We have power!
    Press brake pedal - 14.4V
    Release brake pedal - 14.56V
    Open truck door - 14.56V
    Close truck door - 14.56V
    Turn off truck - 0V

Your mileage (and voltage/power) may vary

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked Bat + to ground at 7 pin in bed. Nothing. Started truck, trailer no where to be seen, 13.5 at same connector. Did not check at bumper connector. Just in the bed....
    2017 GD 311BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine also gets power with truck running and no trailer as long as the door is shut.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast