Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does upgrading from 2600# 4-leaf springs to 5-leaf springs mean a stiffer ride

Just a bit of an update on my earlier post. We were fortunate to find a replacement spring to get us back on the road and will leave in the morning Yaaah! The original spring that broke was a Dexter 2600# on a 5200# Lippert axle and the spring we found is a Dexter 3000# but after reading advice on this forum as well as from GD we decided to go with it since it's such a short trip. GD is shipping us 4 new springs as soon as we tell them what we want to switch to. Thus my question is:

Has anyone upgraded from 4-leaf 2600# springs on a 5200# axle to 5-leaf springs? If so what weight are the springs and do you get a stiffer ride down the road?

We're not looking to increase our load weight, just hoping to avert broken springs in our future as we travel down the bumpy roads. We're definitely going to upgrade at the very least to the 4-leaf 3000# spring but flirting with the idea of going up to a 5-leaf (????#) spring. We're just concerned about the possibility of it being too stiff for out unit and what that might cause (damage or ride).

FYI - We have a 2018 Reflection 27RL (2-ton series) unit.

Thanks in advance for your experience and support!

Phyllis & Dennis Manley

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same trailer, and also having replaced broken springs on one axle, following with great interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phyllis & Dennis,

If you go to 3000 lb springs, whether you choose 4 leaf or 5 leaf, they will have the same load reaction. In my iterations of putting stronger springs on the heavy side of my 303, I first tried 4 leaf and then went to 5 leaf. The reason for this was to get slightly higher ride height (from the extra leaf) to compensate for the additional tire compression on the heavy side. The ride was the same. The difference in ride height is about 1/4” . . . not significant, unless you are like Pat and I, fine tuning this thing to the nth degree .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed

I'm also looking at putting 3000 lb 5 leaf springs on the 28BH we just ordered.

Also looking at:
    Morryde SRE4000
    Morryde X Factor crossmember at all three hangers
    Morryde HD shackle kit
    Dexter 3000 lb hubs (6x5.5)
    Timkin bearing sets and seals
    Sailun 637's 235/85 R16
    Basically I would be swapping everything but the axle tubes and spindles since the Dexter 5200 lb and the 6000 lb tubes are the same.

It would not increase the GVW of the trailer, but it would increase peace of mind.

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put 5 leaf spring on my old FW after the flattened out only for better strength not to increase load and I notice NO difference in ride, at the same time I installed wet bolts. If my 315 does the same thing I will put better springs on it
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from 2200# springs on 4400# axles to 3000# 5 leaf springs on 5200# axles. The ride is better, the trailer handles better and there is less movement of the trailer when we walk around inside. Our trailer is similar in size and weight to yours.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Phyllis & Dennis,

If you go to 3000 lb springs, whether you choose 4 leaf or 5 leaf, they will have the same load reaction. In my iterations of putting stronger springs on the heavy side of my 303, I first tried 4 leaf and then went to 5 leaf. The reason for this was to get slightly higher ride height (from the extra leaf) to compensate for the additional tire compression on the heavy side. The ride was the same. The difference in ride height is about 1/4” . . . not significant, unless you are like Pat and I, fine tuning this thing to the nth degree .

Rob
    Rob, with this post being a few years old now, did you stick with this design? 3000 on kitchen side and stock on dining side? Did you have any issues in the long run?
    After 4 years, I broke a spring on a very rough AK interstate. The spring that got put on by a trailer company has gone flat. Will be changing out that side on my 2018 303. Before buying, doing some research.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob hasn't participated here in some time.

But to respond, we have a 303 and increased the leaf count on the fridge side some time ago. It has worked out very well. Find agood reputable spring shop and they should be able to put something together for you. Much better than the oem springs that go flat in no time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Rob hasn't participated here in some time.

But to respond, we have a 303 and increased the leaf count on the fridge side some time ago. It has worked out very well. Find agood reputable spring shop and they should be able to put something together for you. Much better than the oem springs that go flat in no time.
    Thank you for replying! Hope all is well. I will take this advice and find a shop.
    It is frustrating and scary to have them break on the interstate 600 miles from home.
    Again, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also following with great interest. I have a 2018 303 and did have a hanger break last year. I took it back to Lippert who replaced and reinforced the hangers, upgraded the shackles, and added cross members. The springs still look good after about 30,000 plus miles of cross country driving.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload