Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breakaway cable for Reflection 5th wheel

Hi All

I have a question about the breakaway cable. I have a 2019 Refection. I have had three occasions when making a right turn the the cable disconnected. In have used different locations to hook the cable up to the truck but still have an issue.

While taking a tour of the Grand Design factory for Reflection I noticed they changed out the straight cable for a coiled cable. I have looked at Camping World, Walmart and Lowes. The cable connection on all of those are not the same connection as on my rig. I am also wondering if moving to the coiled cable does that resolve the current problem with the breakaway cable that Ive had, I have a F250.

Thanks
    Mike

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietzmp6 View Post
    Hi All

I have a question about the breakaway cable. I have a 2019 Refection. I have had three occasions when making a right turn the the cable disconnected. In have used different locations to hook the cable up to the truck but still have an issue.

While taking a tour of the Grand Design factory for Reflection I noticed they changed out the straight cable for a coiled cable. I have looked at Camping World, Walmart and Lowes. The cable connection on all of those are not the same connection as on my rig. I am also wondering if moving to the coiled cable does that resolve the current problem with the breakaway cable that Ive had, I have a F250.

Thanks
    Mike
    We put the cable on the hitch release handle. Haven't had a problem with it. Have you tried there?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GooseBox. I clip my cable onto one of the pins for the chain hooks.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the coiled cable (6 feet I think) and attach it to the head of my Pullrite Autoslider. There is a hole in the handle side of the head near the rear of the head. No problems for three years.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We put the cable on the hitch release handle. Haven't had a problem with it. Have you tried there?
    Yes the cable got caught under the hitch.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought my wired (not coiled) was a bit short as well but, I never had any issues.
    Did you call GD?
    They may help you out by sending you a coiled wire.
    It doesn't hurt to call them and explain the issue.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmillsbl View Post
    I have the coiled cable (6 feet I think) and attach it to the head of my Pullrite Autoslider. There is a hole in the handle side of the head near the rear of the head. No problems for three years.
    I have always put my cable over the handle of the hitch (Pullrite), but I just went out to see where that hole is and now I will definitely connect it to that hole. Thank you for posting!
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that best practice is to hook the breakaway cable to the truck not the hitch. The theory is if you have a hitch failure and the hitch and trailer both leave the area lol then the brakes won't apply because it still attached to the hitch. I have a D-ring on mine and just clip it over to the cleat in the bed that comes on Fords. Plenty of room for turning but if the hitch decides to vacate the premises then then brakes will activate.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if my hitch ever decides to leave the truck, it'll be taking the whole rear end with it
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfingerlakes View Post
    I guess if my hitch ever decides to leave the truck, it'll be taking the whole rear end with it
    Haha this is true but at least you might not then get rear ended by your own trailer....oh the horror! (to quote Apocalypse now)
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast