User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2x 2000 watt vs 1x 3400 watt for 30amp service

After reading enough forums to make my eyes bleed, I would just like some final QA or opinions before I pull the trigger on buying a generator.

My situation:
    -I want the capability of running our A/C in our Imagine 2500RL
    -I am NOT worried about the weight of a 3400w
    -We only weekend camp, and maybe a week trip once or twice a year
    -I am not too worried about setup time to hookup the 2000w champions (~3 minutes or less I think)

Dual fuel appeals to me just for options in those 3-7 day trips and not having to bring out additional gas. However, I can't figure out if having propane use available is THAT great or if in the end I am perfectly fine just bringing a couple gallons of gas in a tank. Also, I believe the propane side of the generator max of 3060 watts should be enough to start and run the a/c at 4000ft, but read conflicting reviews/reports. I'll pick up a hard start capacitor if we go this option just to minimize issues getting the compressor to turn on if running propane.

2x2000 appeals to me for the times when the a/c is not needed and I can just unload and run 1 50lb generator. I assume with a 15-30amp plug I could run everything in the trailer minus the A/C on the single 2000 watt.
    Also, the math says I would have full 30amp service when running in parallel (120v x 30amp < 40000 watts) but the manual says do not utilize >3000 watt load when set up in parallel.

I know this is probably the 1 millionth generator thread but just curious if anyone can find incorrect logic in my thinking and assist in the final decision given my specific circumstances.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been numerous threads on generators in the past with excellent information. It's best to use the search function and just enter generator in the search field and see what results are available. The search function is available on the website or tapatalk version of this forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As per my signature - I can't speak for the single 3400w.

For me, weight was probably my biggest decision maker.

I've found that I use a single for a number of things other than powering my TT, like running power tools, compressor, lights...

The portability of the 2000's is what sold me.

IMHO - If you purchase a high quality name brand unit and find that it doesn't meet your needs - they're pretty easy to sell.

-William
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like 2x2000 because they are much easier to move around. I can carry one in each hand and move them both. I can also lift them into the bed of the truck easily for other uses.

Since I have a momentum I run the onboard generator for all major loads, but I carry a 2000 or two as a backup on some trips. The big Onans will sometimes overheat on hot days, particularly if there is no breeze to move the air from underneath the camper. For this reason I also carry a utility fan to keep air moving under the generator.
    2018 Momentum 328M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westcoaster, I went with the HONDA 2000 and installed the “Micro Air Easy Start Capacitor” it will start my 15k btu AC unit no problem. You can also see the you tube video.
    2018 GD Reflection 303rls (built 4/4/17) TST 507 TPMS
    1996 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke CC 4x4 SRW John Woods Tranny (400 hp) 166k miles
    B&W TurnoverBall w/Companion 20k fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I may be stuck with the larger single generator. I just realized that champion does not sell a high altitude jet for the 2000, only the larger ones. My next set of orders will be taking us to Fallon, NV and I can only assume I will be getting at least some use in the 5,000+ elevation range. I am sure I could get away with it but not sure if it is worth that gamble or not. Downside is you guys did convince me to go with the 2 lighter ones but now I think I am back at the larger one. Haha, oh well.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure which genny you're looking at. I have an older version of this one...

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...att-generator/

...It will power the travel trailer in my sig, but I have to use some power management to get it to work. For example, if I want to run the 15k A/C, I have to turn the water heater to propane. To get the A/C fired up, I first turn the fan to "On" "Low", then turn the thermostat to A/C and let the compressor kick on, then turn the fan to "On" "High" and it will run. In this configuration, only the compressor cycles, the fan stays on all the time. If I put the fan on "Auto" and thermostat to A/C, there is too much start up draw for the genny and it will either bog down or stall. And just an FYI we rarely camp above 3000'. Best of luck which ever way you go...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Based on knowing I will use this fairly often above the 3,500' window, I think we are going to go with the 3400 dual fuel so that we can swap out the carb jet (right term?). I also may just pick up a used 2000 champion I found online for 150 bucks down the street from me. I figure it is worth the gamble (cross your fingers for me haha) for the small little trips outside of summertime when I don't need to run the a/c, in addition to minor projects (thanks for pointing that out). Plus it will hold off the need to buy the 3400 until the spring/summer.
    I am also going to pick up the hard start capacitor everyone recommends (spp6). I like the micro air start idea but the price seems a bit steep if I can get a workable solution for $10.

FT4Now, sorry if I annoyed you with another gen question. I did do a search and read so many forums my eyes were ready to bleed haha. However, the one thing I love about these places is just the on going conversations and people finding minor things to point out about each persons individual situation. I totally get where you are coming from though when people post generic "which xxx" that doesn't have any specific details or specific circumstances.

Matt
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Based on knowing I will use this fairly often above the 3,500' window, I think we are going to go with the 3400 dual fuel so that we can swap out the carb jet (right term?). I also may just pick up a used 2000 champion I found online for 150 bucks down the street from me. I figure it is worth the gamble (cross your fingers for me haha) for the small little trips outside of summertime when I don't need to run the a/c, in addition to minor projects (thanks for pointing that out). Plus it will hold off the need to buy the 3400 until the spring/summer.
    I am also going to pick up the hard start capacitor everyone recommends (spp6). I like the micro air start idea but the price seems a bit steep if I can get a workable solution for $10.

FT4Now, sorry if I annoyed you with another gen question. I did do a search and read so many forums my eyes were ready to bleed haha. However, the one thing I love about these places is just the on going conversations and people finding minor things to point out about each persons individual situation. I totally get where you are coming from though when people post generic "which xxx" that doesn't have any specific details or specific circumstances.

Matt
    The Microair EasyStart is not a hard start capacitor. It's a microprocessor that slowly ramps up the power to your A/C. With it installed you can start your a/c with most 2000W generators.

I chose the Honda EU3000is and added the Pinelas remote control kit. Because the a/c now takes less current to start I can go higher in altitude and not run out of power
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717