User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to give you a couple of data points.

My 13,995 lb Reflection 337RLS has a pin weight North of 3100 lbs. Most of the reports I've read from other GD owners report a pin weight around 23% +- a bit. This is about the max that I would want to pull with my SRW F350.

I had a similar situation to that you're faced with when I bought this RV. I knew it was going to max out my F250, but I figured if I loaded light I'd be OK - and I would have been if it was actually possible to load light. That was good in theory, but didn't work out.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what hot shotters carry in a one ton truck
    25,000 lb. Empty trailer weight is 8,750 lb. This gives a 16,250 lb. load capacity with an assumed hitch weight of 8,000 lb.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    This is what hot shotters carry in a one ton truck
    25,000 lb. Empty trailer weight is 8,750 lb. This gives a 16,250 lb. load capacity with an assumed hitch weight of 8,000 lb.
    8K is over any 1ton payload rating. AND they pull them everyday thru any weather conditions. I am saying again, don't get caught up in the payload ratings. They are there for a reason, but real life shows that they are conservative.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the title of these threads should be "Will a ________ exceed the payload rating of my truck"? Asking if it's safe or if a person should tow with a certain truck opens the discussion up to all kinds of opinions.

Doing the math to see if a particular RV will exceed the tow ratings of a particular truck is easy. What is difficult for most people is deciding whether or not they're comfortable exceeding those ratings.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I think the title of these threads should be "Will a ________ exceed the payload rating of my truck"? Asking if it's safe or if a person should tow with a certain truck opens the discussion up to all kinds of opinions.

Doing the math to see if a particular RV will exceed the tow ratings of a particular truck is easy. What is difficult for most people is deciding whether or not they're comfortable exceeding those ratings.
    I agree with this. I was just trying to show what happens in real life.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't have a problem with the axles.. I wonder why the manufacture under rates them. Hmmm could it be the Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    So, according to the axle manufacturer for my axles, they are rated at 10,000 lbs, vice 7000 that Ram states.

Alrighty then.. just need new tires and Im good! (grin).
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You won't have a problem with the axles.. I wonder why the manufacture under rates them. Hmmm could it be the Chassis
    Its the brakes...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Pardon the interruption...

Let's agree that anything over the posted GVWR may have some unintended consequences and leave it at that.

--any more help for the OP with his specific questions?

-Moderator Howard
    I think opinions are dragging this off topic again...
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it risks versus reward. Everything in life has risks it's how you decided how to manage that risk. The manufacture and tow guide all state not to exceed GVWR/GAWR and GM has even stated why. Is going to unsafe at 1 pound over and 1000 pounds over and what is that safety margin. If I ever got in an accident and hurt someone I would wonder if I was not over manufacture specs would not have been an accident. I think people ought to have the facts as stated by the manufacturer so they can make an informed decision and not someone opinion that F250 is the same as an F350 or GVWR is for registration and not really rating.

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

Last edited by CWSWine; 02-11-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think little more to than brakes since the big three a competing for best in class payload and all they had to do upgrade brakes. In 2015 F350 axles rated at 10,900 rating from the Axle Manufacture (de-rated by Ford to 7050) and all they had to do is upgrade the brakes to add a couple thousand to payload I think they would of.

Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Its the brakes...
    Dennis & Ellie

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast