User Tag List

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    The GoPower has what it calls a "Power Sharing Mode". Apparently every manufacturer has their own terminology for the hybrid mode.

See page 43 in the manual for a full explanation with an example. (I can't upload the whole manual--it's too big. Attached is just page 43.)

Attachment 17689
    Yep, thanks for clearing that up.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    I found Klenger's data on my drive. As I suspected, he powers one line (when on the inverter) and one line isn't powered. That's not a criticism by any means--I have high regard for everything Klenger did to his 297. What I'm attempting to convey (badly!) is if there's an option to not have to worry about sub-panels, or what is (and isn't) powered by the inverter, I'd prefer that option.

I added a highlight to show the specific area of Klenger's schematic I am referencing. If you're still around, @klenger, I'd sure appreciate your .02 on the GoPower.

Attachment 17690

-Howard
    Howard - what I liked about Klinger's approach was rather than adding a subpanel and all the complications that entails, he simply swapped the breakers to one side or the other. Not a perfect solution, but really pretty elegant if you think about it. In my case, everything in the kitchen slide, including the fridge and MW, is on the same breaker with the TV and outlets so I have to remember to switch the fridge to LP and yell at DW if she goes for the MW, but I can live with that. I wasn't about to run another circuit to the slide. The Victron meter right next to the inverter switch is a pretty good reminder - if I see that I'm pulling 12 or 15 amps when I turn on the inverter, I know I have to switch over the fridge or something.

Actually, considering that the AC isn't going to run constantly most nights, I think some limited AC use may be feasible.

Figuring out exactly what was on each circuit then rerouting the solid wires was probably the worst part of my install.

I also liked Klinger's use of a separate ATS. I like that it is a separate unit from the inverter and I was able to mount it behind the power panel (just barely) so if there was a problem it wouldn't be that difficult to wire around it and be back in business.

Overall, I thought his was a nice simple approach that fit my needs. I don't dry camp very often, don't plan to ever do solar (although he did) and really couldn't justify a more complex system. Klinger documented his installation with great photos and schematics that made it a no brainer for me. I, too, wish he was still around if only so I could thank him for sharing such nice work.

A secondary advantage of the installation was that it made me really dig in and learn the electrical system on my rig. I feel better able to handle any electrical glitch that may arise in the future.

I'm still learning and experimenting, but I'm more and more impressed by the lithium batteries. There are advantages far beyond the obvious and even for a limited use system such as mine, I can easily justify the installation (at least to myself, if not DW).

Best,

John
    Last edited by SouthTX; 02-15-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I've done more studying of these inverters I understand your post better. I'd really appreciate your .02 on the GoPower I'm considering. (See earlier posts.)
    The GoPower seems like the subpanel would not be needed, since it handles 50 amps of split phase. I would strongly recommend going either this route or the subpanel route I described (if you decide on a unit that does not handle 50 amps of split phase in its pass through). If you do as some suggested and only feed one side of the panel with the inverter, that will necessitate placing all of your non-inverter loads on the same side of the panel. These tend to be your biggest draws (AC unit(s), electric HWH etc), and you really want them balanced on both sides of the panel so they are not all drawing from one side.

As far as the load sharing, that was not something that was available when I did mine, but I do wish I had it on the occasion I do not have full power available. Reviewing the drawing you linked, it makes it look like you set the inverter for power sharing mode. I would be curious how you tell it how much shore power is available, so it know how much to supplement with, such as whether you are connected to a 20 amp outlet, or maybe just in a 30 amp site.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be aware the load sharing on the Go Power is only on one leg, not both! So with hybrid on one leg so you have to pick which phase gets load sharing and put those important items on that side.

On edit: Hot 1 is power share, hot 2 is pass through only. This is not well stated from Go Power.
    Last edited by bcdiesel; 02-15-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sent an email to GoPower because there isn't a specific reference in either manual to using Lithium batteries with this inverter.
    I realize I'm replying to myself--posting this for those that may be following this thread and are curious about Go Power's response. They did reply promptly and confirmed the GP-IC-3000 will work with lithiums. I stumbled across a video on their website that shows how to do it:

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    Just be aware the load sharing on the Go Power is only on one leg, not both! So with hybrid on one leg so you have to pick which phase gets load sharing and put those important items on that side.

On edit: Hot 1 is power share, hot 2 is pass through only. This is not well stated from Go Power.
    Thank you for the post. I did some searching and found a video by Opting Out of Normal that explains this well (and shows an example). In the comments section I find it interesting that he's now switched to a dual Victron setup. I know the Victron's can be used in parallel, but not quite sure it they will share batteries. More to research! Learning more every day. (I hope some of this that I'm sharing is helping someone else.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This schematic from GoPower's manual is what's so attractive about the GP-IC-3000 Inverter/Charger option. (I added the Progressive Industries EMS I already have installed in my 315RLTS.)

Please chime in with your thoughts & comments!

Attachment 17687
    Howard,

This is exactly how I hooked mine up. I also used my 30 ft 50 amp extension cord to run the ac side and just ordered a new one. It was about the same price as going and getting it at Lowes and it is a lot easier to work with and bend to where I needed to. I have not used the power sharing mode 2 yet. I was looking at buying a Magnum 3012 RV inverter changer as it also has the 50 amp pass thru, but when I ordered it the company told me that it was on an engineering hold but had no other info. I hooked up the inverter to 5 BB and had no problems with a powering up the camper.

Good luck with decision and happy camping.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjaike View Post
    I also used my 30 ft 50 amp extension cord to run the ac side and just ordered a new one.
    That's a good idea! I'll keep that in mind.

Have you ever encountered a limitation when on a limited shore power line with L2 not enabled for power sharing in the GoPower as explained in the Opting Out of Normal (OON) video? It's interesting he went to two parallel Victron inverters when he switched to BattleBorn batteries. I can't imagine doing this for my needs--super expensive setup--but interesting and I want to understand why OON did it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    I found Klenger's data on my drive. As I suspected, he powers one line (when on the inverter) and one line isn't powered. That's not a criticism by any means--I have high regard for everything Klenger did to his 297. What I'm attempting to convey (badly!) is if there's an option to not have to worry about sub-panels, or what is (and isn't) powered by the inverter, I'd prefer that option.

I added a highlight to show the specific area of Klenger's schematic I am referencing. If you're still around, @klenger, I'd sure appreciate your .02 on the GoPower.

Attachment 17690

-Howard
    Have you taken a look at AM Solar's Victron 50amp Multiplus kit with a Smart ATS which will avoid having a subpanel. I have been doing extensive research for a couple months and am going to be installing this over the next month. I have had a number of discussion's with AM Solar and it is my understanding that there is no one else that offers this and they are in the process of having it patented. This is how they are currently installing inverters for rigs with 50amp. They have been really helpful, have a good reputation and have been in the RV Solar business a long time. Here are some links that might be helpful.

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverters-chargers/99-vt3050kit

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+Explained.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...TS+Diagram.pdf
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea! I'll keep that in mind.

Have you ever encountered a limitation when on a limited shore power line with L2 not enabled for power sharing in the GoPower as explained in the Opting Out of Normal (OON) video? I
    I have not had to use it yet. I think the only time you might encounter this would be hooked up to a 30 amp or a 15 amp supply, most of the things I want to power up was already located on L1 leg of my circuit breaker panel.

I am still working on all the mods on the trailer. The problem I have is I keep reading all the post on the forum and keep finding more things I want to add on to it.

I have 3 solar panels on now and getting ready to add a 4th, and change out the Go Power solar controller with a Victron 100/50 MPPT. I did not like the PWM and do not think it was putting out a lot of amps when we were at Quartzsite.
    Last edited by bigjaike; 02-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast