User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do Canadians face the same intense scrutiny and line of questioning coming into the US?
    I'm just curious.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm lucky enough to live within 1/2 an hour of the BC/Washington border and cross at our main crossings almost weekly. I take the RV over a couples times a year. Given my weekly crossings back and forth I've had a considerable amount of experience with going both directions. Given this is a "entering the US" type discussion, I can say the most asked question I get is what I do for work (probably because I cross on weekdays and avoid the weekend line up). It's a fair question to protect the jobs of US citizens, and both countries enforce rules on foreign worker as they should. The other usual questions are where I am going, what am I getting and am I leaving anything behind (AKA importing items to the US). With regard to taking my trailer over, the rules regarding food products are ever changing. To make it easy on our family I leave behind any fruit, veggies and meats. I cross the border into the US and my first stop is always the grocery store when towing the RV. I have never made a list of all the stuff in my trailer and have never been asked for any list. My trailer has never been searched either. Basic rule: answer their questions truthfully and you'll never have a problem. Lie and you're screwed for life crossing over!

Only ever once did I meet a grumpy US border officer who ejected my family from our truck on a cold rainy day so he could use the mobile X-ray machine on my truck and trailer. Another officer saw my family with two young children standing out in the cold and apologized saying it was silly. That said, everybody has a bad day... and the vast majority of my experiences have been very good. In my opinion both countries have very good people protecting our countries. As said before, we are very lucky to be neighbour countries and I'm always appreciative to be able to take my family into the great country of the USA. The small inconvenience crossing the border is nothing.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Do Canadians face the same intense scrutiny and line of questioning coming into the US?
    I'm just curious.
    I should add... when returning to Canada... I get asked a lot of questions too about what I'm bringing back... alcohol, tobacco, cash, firearms, food, etc, how long I was away, where I went. I just simply answer them and home I go. I wouldn't call it intense scrutiny. Border officers on both sides are trained to look for clues of deception. To find these clues you have to make people talk...
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I'm just curious.
    Having discussed this with many Americans and Canadians, it would be my opinion that there is more scrutiny going into the US than going into Canada, particularly since 9/11. This seems to be true for Canadian visitors as well as Americans returning to the US.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark&Colleen View Post
    There is no other country in the world I would rather be neighbours with. I am grateful for the opportunity to enter the US and spend winters down south. It is a privilege that I don't take lightly and understand that I am a guest in your country. That ties into my original question, to understand and be aware of the proper process to cross the border with an RV and make the procedure as smooth as possible. I have learned a lot from everyone's responses, this is a great forum! Thanks to all.
    This is a very nice thing to say and I thank you personally. I feel the same way about Canada. My very best friend was raised in Canada and maintains dual citizen ship. Any one who asks to pass the serviettes or spells the word "neighbour" correctly is OK in my book! I hope to spend more time in your beautiful country soon.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great and informative thread, this site rocks! I too have several great Canadian friends and lived next door to a Canadian couple for years. I have not visited your country but definitely plan to when I retire and go full time. I will definitely research the requirements at that time and make sure I do it right. And please continue to come down and enjoy the warmer weather in the winters Mark and Colleen, lying in the sun with a frosty beverage beside a nice RV is one reason we've all worked so hard all these years!!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was it that told you not to use the Nexus lane with an RV? Was it a US border agent?
    Sorry for the delay mark. We were told directly by the US and Canadian border people at our NEXUS exit interview. We always use the RV lane unless otherwise posted

And thanks to all the US participants on this forum. We love coming south for our winters and have only been meet by open and helpful people
    Shawn & Julie
    2018 Reflection 327RST
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 litre Cummins Diesel
    Pullrite Autoslide 16 K with Capture Plate
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Shawn & Julie. We didn't have an RV at the time we got our NEXUS cards so never had a reason to ask this question. Not sure if there is an RV lane at the Gananoque border crossing. I'll call them to inquire. I don't want to jeopardize losing my NEXUS card!

Mark

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Shawn & Julie. We didn't have an RV at the time we got our NEXUS cards so never had a reason to ask this question. Not sure if there is an RV lane at the Gananoque border crossing. I'll call them to inquire. I don't want to jeopardize losing my NEXUS card!

Mark
    There is an RV lane at Gananoque. Used it a few times. My understanding from other RVs is that if you enter the nexus lane you we definitely be redirected or secondaried. Much like if you entered one of the truck lanes. We have always travelled at off times and never had much delays at that crossing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information, thanks so much!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast