Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry camp power

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry camp power

Hi all. I am looking at dry camp power options for our 2017 303RLS. I'm thinking I can use the onboard 2-40lb LP tanks to run 2 30amp generators hooked up in series. Then attach 2-20lb LP tanks to the RV. Could also carry 2 additional 20lb tanks for spares. Then maybe add a cargo tray to the back hitch to carry the 2 100lb each generators. Probably add a cover for weather and lock down.

What do you think about this plan?

Note - A rver told me to always have onboard generator power because RV park power can sometimes falter.
    Also, the cargo hitch needs to be stabilized so the genset isn't bouncing around.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: will rarely use the furnace. Being from Texas, I dont do cold.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryl View Post
    Hi all. I am looking at dry camp power options for our 2017 303RLS. I'm thinking I can use the onboard 2-40lb LP tanks to run 2 30amp generators hooked up in series. Then attach 2-20lb LP tanks to the RV. Could also carry 2 additional 20lb tanks for spares. Then maybe add a cargo tray to the back hitch to carry the 2 100lb each generators. Probably add a cover for weather and lock down.

Note - A rver told me to always have onboard generator power because RV park power can sometimes falter.
    Also, the cargo hitch needs to be stabilized so the genset isn't bouncing around.
    I'm considering a propane powered generator, too, as an emergency backup. I'm going to stick with one 30A gen knowing I'll be limited to running one a/c unit.

If solar with a hybrid inverter is an a consideration there are many recent threads. Type "solar" into the search box above and click the magnifying glass icon--there's a lot to read.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently bought a Champion 3500Watt dual fuel inverter gen. Very happy with it so far. It is heavy (about 90#) but I can lift it by myself if careful. I plan to carry it in truck bed behind cab. We are planning an extended trip in late summer to east coast and south and want at least one AC for some dry camping. So far I have only run it on propane. I need to test it running the AC on a hot day but so far so good. You don't get as much out put on propane but cleaner and don't need to worry about gas getting old (can use fuel stabilizer). I was using it the other day running a small pancake type air compressor and my chop saw and it tripped the breaker, so it is limited.

Anyway good luck. If you search generator or something similar there are previous threads.

Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Champion 3400-watt dual-fuel generator, a popular and relatively-inexpensive product.

I haven't started it even once, so take this advice with caution, but I've read that it will consume a 20-pound tank of propane in eight hours of moderate load. Under heavy load, even more.

At current prices in lower Mississippi, that would be about US$2.00 to US$3.00 per hour, depending on load. If I was going to be without plug-ins for long periods of time, I'd certainly look at solar to reduce the high cost of propane-powered generation, as @howson suggests above.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW I don't worry about RV park power, you can test at site w/ an electrical tester, better yet get an EMS or similar power monitor.

Rich
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I think it'll run about 2.00 an hour. Im thinking 5 or 6 day dry camp stays
    once or twice a year. Mainly at rock fests and such. Seems the solar just boost the 12 volt battery system. Doesn't provide power for the AC. Correct?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I think it'll run about 2.00 an hour. Im thinking 5 or 6 day dry camp stays
    once or twice a year. Mainly at rock fests and such. Seems the solar just boost the 12 volt battery system. Doesn't provide power for the AC. Correct?
    Correct. The batteries (that are charged by the solar array) then go through an inverter that converts the 12VDC to 120VAC.

Based on the relatively low usage and an inverter is not good with an air conditioner (likely a high priority on your list) you might want to stick with the generator plan.

If you've got 30 minutes or so, read through this thread as it documents my (in progress) electrical project. Something in it may be helpful: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...back-Requested
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverter will convert to AC
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Correct. The batteries (that are charged by the solar array) then go through an inverter that converts the 12VDC to 120VAC.

Based on the relatively low usage and an inverter is not good with an air conditioner (likely a high priority on your list) you might want to stick with the generator plan.

If you've got 30 minutes or so, read through this thread as it documents my (in progress) electrical project. Something in it may be helpful: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...back-Requested
    You seem to know you stuff re solar, very interesting. Our weather is finally warming up I want to test using one AC on propane. I did "trick" the thermostat with a hair dryer and got AC running with micro on also, but probably not the real world as weather was cold and AC not working hard and very little heat loss. It is running my power tools ok. If I was doing more off grid the solar seems like a good option.

Rich
    Onalaska, WA
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast