User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Repair School

I'm really having a senior moment. I know I just read a post here (and before) where someone took an RV repair course - for their own education. I can't remember who it was - and can't find the post. I'm interested it doing that as well, as I see that's what I'm going to have to do to ensure I have a good RV. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Last edited by jim1521; 03-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I'm really having a senior moment. I know I just read a post here (and before) where someone took an RV repair course - for their own education. I can't remember who it was - and can't find the post. I'm interested it doing that as well, as I see that's what I'm going to have to do to ensure I have a good RV. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    Jim - possibly this recent post #23 from JCZ on this thread ?

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pt-exclusivity

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely @JCZhome--he's taken the course and has posted a lot of great insights on the experience.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard.
    @JCZhome Can you ping me with the details? PM if you'd prefer. Thanks.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard.
    @JCZhome Can you ping me with the details? PM if you'd prefer. Thanks.
    One bit of info I can add is the following question I sent to the school (and its answer) regarding using the GI Bill for the training:

Hi Howard,

At this time, the GI bill is unavailable to use. Please do recommend to
    those who are in command to consider us as a educational resource. We
    have plenty of people, like yourself, who ask. So, we don't give up hope
    that someday it will be an option.

Thank you for reaching out and have a great day.

Evada Cooper
    Admin / Mobile RV Academy / NRVTA
    (254)709-3251
    9024 Hwy 175 West
    Athens, Texas 75751
    www.rvtechcourse.com
    www.nrvta.com
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be me, JC Mooney and I'm currently here at the Grand Design Rally here in Las Vegas if you happen to be here and would like to talk in person.

I attended the National RV Training Acadamy in Athens, Texas and I would highly recommend it to anybody. I just got through sharing with Tucson Jim and a couple of others that I've not had to "work" on my RV (other than routine maint.) since I took that course but I've sure worked on a lot of others. As a matter of fact, there's another gentleman here that has my manometer right now....so that he can do a propane leak down test on his RV. It was money well spent just to keep my RV out of the shop! We are full timers and so it would get real expensive real fast if our RV had to go in the shop for any length of time.

I took the training in Dec. 2017 and at that time they were trying to squeeze through all of the knotholes so they could get certified so that veterans could use the GI Bill to pay for it. My understanding, the last I heard, was that they were very close. I'm not sure where they're at with that at this point in time.

If you sign up with NRVTA for training (or the home course) please tell them that you were referred by "AMB167, JC Mooney". I think they'll throw me a bone or something if you do. I would appreciate it. If you have any questions, please ask or shoot me a private message and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard. That's exactly what I was looking for.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    That would be me, JC Mooney and I'm currently here at the Grand Design Rally here in Las Vegas if you happen to be here and would like to talk in person.

I attended the National RV Training Acadamy in Athens, Texas and I would highly recommend it to anybody. I just got through sharing with Tucson Jim and a couple of others that I've not had to "work" on my RV (other than routine maint.) since I took that course but I've sure worked on a lot of others. As a matter of fact, there's another gentleman here that has my manometer right now....so that he can do a propane leak down test on his RV. It was money well spent just to keep my RV out of the shop! We are full timers and so it would get real expensive real fast if our RV had to go in the shop for any length of time.

I took the training in Dec. 2017 and at that time they were trying to squeeze through all of the knotholes so they could get certified so that veterans could use the GI Bill to pay for it. My understanding, the last I heard, was that they were very close. I'm not sure where they're at with that at this point in time.

If you sign up with NRVTA for training (or the home course) please tell them that you were referred by "AMB167, JC Mooney". I think they'll throw me a bone or something if you do. I would appreciate it. If you have any questions, please ask or shoot me a private message and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
    Thanks JC. Greatly appreciate that info. We too will be full-timing shortly, except in two different RVs so I'm going to need a much broader knowledge level than what I have right now.

How much hands-on training did they offer? Or was it mostly classroom?
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JC. Greatly appreciate that info. We too will be full-timing shortly, except in two different RVs so I'm going to need a much broader knowledge level than what I have right now.

How much hands-on training did they offer? Or was it mostly classroom?
    It's both hands on and classroom. It is broke up so that it stays interesting and the instructors are great. Terry Cooper breaks things down so that a knucklehead can understand it. And if you stay for the RV Inspector certification, you'll learn twice as much.

I will admit, coming from a residential maintenance background (high-rise and mid-rise apartments and condos), I was skeptical. What can they possibly teach me that isn't basic common sense? Cooper will tell you that "80% of the things that go wrong with an RV are easy to find and easy to fix......if you know where to look and how to fix it". Well it is basic common sense but RVs are not like residential at all. I left there with a lot more knowlege and a lot more confidence in dealing with all the little issues that go hand in hand with the RV life style.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking into the school, starts next class in mid April. Did you take the one week class or the full class? For those interested the one week is around 1600$, RV parking is not included. It is pet friendly and they will use your RV in the class with your permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast