User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD owner wanna-be's, and new to RV'ing!

Hello, world! We're Patricia and Stanley, and after several years of discussion and planning, are at last making the plunge into the RV life! House just sold and the settlement date is 1st week of May (we're currently living in another house so not worried about having to move out until we have our rig!). Launch date is as soon as possible after that! We plan on full-timing and have our hearts pretty much set on Grand Design.

Forgive the request, as I couldn't find another forum that's appropriate: we're looking for a used Solitude or Momentum, model year from 2014 on up, max length 40', hopefully with a genset. If a TV is available, we'd think we've gone to heaven. In addition to several Facebook groups, we're also looking on RV Trader, RV USA and now here! We're excited and nervous and overwhelmed and can't wait.

Thanks for reading!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and hopefully Grand Design. Not to put a damper on your plan but I would like for you think about a couple of changes in the RV industry that has occurred in the last 3 years. I am not selling anything, I am in my 8th year of full time RV living, and plan to continue doing so.

In the last 4 years there has been a huge increase in the number of new RV's delivered. RVIA delivery data. There has not been an equal number of RV parks built, sorry no real data available. End result is there is a lack of RV parks. This in turn has driven average nightly rates from $35 per night to $55 per night. Again, no real statistics, just what we have observed.

Secondly, we are experiencing more and more age restrictions in RV parks, 10 years old seems to be the norm, but we have seen some 5 year old restrictions. Of course the parks are always quick to point out that they will make a case by case exception, but it is a trend.

Just for fun make a fake travel plan, look up some RV campground's you would like to visit and call them and ask them for rates and availability during a certain time. In the last 2 years we have been getting "sorry we are fully booked" more often than we have in the past. It isn't a show stopper, it's just a factor.

Good luck and have fun on your adventure!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Party pooper!

: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    Hello, world! We're Patricia and Stanley, and after several years of discussion and planning, are at last making the plunge into the RV life! House just sold and the settlement date is 1st week of May (we're currently living in another house so not worried about having to move out until we have our rig!). Launch date is as soon as possible after that! We plan on full-timing and have our hearts pretty much set on Grand Design.

Forgive the request, as I couldn't find another forum that's appropriate: we're looking for a used Solitude or Momentum, model year from 2014 on up, max length 40', hopefully with a genset. If a TV is available, we'd think we've gone to heaven. In addition to several Facebook groups, we're also looking on RV Trader, RV USA and now here! We're excited and nervous and overwhelmed and can't wait.

Thanks for reading!
    Congratulations on selling your home. Your choosing Grand design is a good one. We have had several RVs over35 years. We just purchased a 303RLS and love it. We have researched RVs for the last 5 years knowing we were going to purchase a 5th wheel. And the results always came back to Grand Design. They arel an all season RV which makes them great for full time RVing. Hope you find what you are looking for. All the best!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post

Thanks for reading!
    Welcome to the forum, Patricia and Stanley. You are going to have a zillion questions, so please make full use of the forum's archives and don't hesitate to post.

A unique resource we have here on this forum are two site sponsors "in the business". I think one of them is close to your location. He can't (and won't) solicit your business on this forum but I can point you to him! His name is Steve at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA. He is known here as @huntr70 and you can reach him at [email protected].

I have no connection or affiliation with Steve or his business, nor will I get anything for pointing you his way. BL: Just providing information--I have 0 interest if you contact him or not.

Good luck with your search!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! We've been reading about the age restrictions in other forums, so hoping that if we get a 2014 that looks really nice, they won't mind.

We're hoping to boondock as much as possible, but of course, plans are made to be laughed at, so we've got Campendium, Allstays and any other recommendations you might have in finding campgrounds is welcome.

We have just one actual travel plan, we're heading to Nevada/Tahoe area around Labor Day. That's it so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard (excellent name, that was my Dad's name!),

Thank you so much for the referral. We're grateful for any and all help and expert advice! I'll definitely check out Tom Schaeffer's.

Patricia

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I do maintain our company website, so it is always up to date with what we have in stock.

I do not currently have any Solitude or Momentum that are pre-owned, but can certainly let you know if we do get any more in.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Party pooper!
    : )
    Just trying to keep it real. I hate meeting the folks that have this great dream that get's squashed by reality. I know we went through a period where we questioned what we have done. People tell us all the time how great it must be, how wonderful, they always want to do it too. And for the most part it is wonderful and exciting, but I think folks should know about the dark side also before they give up their routine. The hours spent on the side of the road waiting for repair, the breakdowns, the frustration of finding suitable accommodations, the expensive rigs that have stuff falling off of them, etc.

I feel bad I may have given the lifestyle a bad impression, I love it and don't plan on changing, but I also know the hardship side of it also. I just want folks to make an informed decision.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750