User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ford or Chevy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see Ford or GM?
    Or government motors as I call them. Can you say buy out?
    Ford 42 years at kickin' tail and takin names. #1 in truck sales that record is outstanding. And will never be beat by GM or Dodge. Or if you prefer Italian motors. Or who ever owns them come next year.
    Enough said, FORD all the way!
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always a GM guy but I was forced to buy Ford chassis and engines in the Class C's I had and became impressed with their transmissions but never liked the gas engines. I now have a 2016 F250 with the 6.7 diesel and I am super impressed by the entire product. Interior comfort is great, the diesel in that thing will pull the entire world and I get 18 mpg unloaded. I'm happy in Fords now.

Additionally, it did make a difference to me that Ford did not require a government buyout to survive and then close plants in the US the way GM is doing but YMMV.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Basic answer: "Yes." Any of the big three will serve you well. I've not owned a Ram, but I've owned GM and Ford diesel trucks [snip]
    ^ This.

In the spring of 2018 I evaluated all three manufacturers and here are my personal opinions and observations based on comparing nicely equipped models (Diesel, leather, crew cab, long bed, nav, etc). I did not do any comparisons of the "low end" basic packages. Remember this is all subjective and applies only to me:

Ford has the best in cab technology. Sync 3 is amazing and nothing beats it. Ford also has the best looks. The in-tailgate step is also a huge bonus. Chevy rides the best and has the best transmission if you choose the Allison trans package. Chevy had the worst in cab technology. I'm a geek and I like displays and not gauges. Dodge has the best engine with the 6.7L Cummins and as long as you choose the AISIN transmission you get the 2nd best transmission. The in cab technology options are pretty good as well.

At the end of the day, I chose the RAM3500 but I'm jealous of the Ford's looks and the ride from the GMC 3500HD's. I know I got the right truck for *me*.
    Last edited by mbmike29; 04-04-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Lets see Ford or GM?
    Or government motors as I call them. Can you say buy out?
    Ford 42 years at kickin' tail and takin names. #1 in truck sales that record is outstanding. And will never be beat by GM or Dodge. Or if you prefer Italian motors. Or who ever owns them come next year.
    Enough said, FORD all the way!
    Russ,

There were reasons beyond GM's and Chrysler's ability to borrow from the banks and not from the government. Once the banks closed the door to loans due to the housing bubble and resultant crash, there were no other options. In the end Ford benefited just the same with the re-negotiated contracts or they too would not have survived. It just happened that Ford borrowed just prior to the crash. Today things are different where companies work to keep free cash flow in order to avoid the damage from the ill effects of wall street greed.

Another interesting fact: GM typically sells more trucks than Ford who only sells the F150 in a half ton.

Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Russ,

There were reasons beyond GM's and Chrysler's ability to borrow from the banks and not from the government. Once the banks closed the door to loans due to the housing bubble and resultant crash, there were no other options. In the end Ford benefited just the same with the re-negotiated contracts or they too would not have survived. It just happened that Ford borrowed just prior to the crash. Today things are different where companies work to keep free cash flow in order to avoid the damage from the ill effects of wall street greed.

Another interesting fact: GM typically sells more trucks than Ford who only sells the F150 in a half ton.

Jim
    Bull! here are the 1st quarter #'s on truck sales. Just saw it this morning. As usual Fords are kicking tail.
    214,611 Units for FORD
    And for a first Dodge outsold Government motors;
    120.026 units to government motors 114,313 units
    Gotta Mechanic Coming 45,000 units.
    Even the 2 government motors added together can not outsell FORD.
    these are the facts.
    Have a nice day.
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Russ Olin,

Your feelings about General Motors and Chrysler are noted.
    As Jim has referenced, there is a lot more to the 2008/2009 banking/mortgage/automotive, financial turmoil than your perspective.
    On this forum, we try to keep the "emotion" out of these truck brand discussions because many will have different opinions.
    Repeatedly using your derogatory names for GM and ending with something like "have a nice day" is unnecessary and inflammatory.

Rob (moderator)
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally do not mind and have been hoping for a breakthrough. But to no avail.

Ford builds a great truck just as the other two makers. However, Ford will advertise that the F150 is the best selling BRAND in the US. This is true. But when you add up the 1/2 ton GM Chevrolet and GMC brands, historically GM has sold more full size trucks. Sometimes this goes back forth due to fleet sales and so on but typically GM sells more.
    Now add in the fact that GM makes a mid sized truck, the Colorado and Canyon. These trucks compete with the full size GM trucks but offer more choice for the customer. Taking this into account,
    Chevrolet Silverado + GMC Sierra + Chevrolet Colorado + GMC Canyon = The top selling US truck maker.
    I cant make it any clearer than this.
    Now that the Ford Ranger is on the scene, we will see the full size 1/2 ton Ford truck sales fall where the Ranger will fill the gap. So the top selling BRAND is marketing and nothing more.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-05-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I personally do not mind and have been hoping for a breakthrough. But to no avail.

Ford builds a great truck just as the other two makers. However, Ford will advertise that the F150 is the best selling BRAND in the US. This is true. But when you add up the 1/2 ton GM Chevrolet and GMC brands, historically GM has sold more full size trucks. Sometimes this goes back forth due to fleet sales and so on but typically GM sells more.
    Now add in the fact that GM makes a mid sized truck, the Colorado and Canyon. These trucks compete with the full size GM trucks but offer more choice for the customer. Taking this into account,
    Chevrolet Silverado + GMC Sierra + Chevrolet Colorado + GMC Canyon = The top selling US truck maker.
    I cant make it any clearer than this.
    Now that the Ford Ranger is on the scene, we will see the full size 1/2 ton Ford truck sales fall where the Ranger will fill the gap. So the top selling BRAND is marketing and nothing more.
    Hey bro,
    You forgot to add in the Suburban on your list of vehicles. That way the #'s would look even better.
    All's I see in your post is your personal opinion. Lets see some actual #'s to back it up. They maybe I would believe it.
    The #'s I stated above come right off of Motor Trend. Maybe you should re-read those #'s.
    And if FORD is #1 in BRAND marketing, I'll take it. Its always fun to run with the top dog.
    You are entitled to your opinion & I am entitled to mine.
    Russ
    Russ & Deb

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my 2016 GMC 3500 SRW Denali but when we ordered our Solitude 373FB-R, I knew I needed a DRW truck. I couldn't wait for the newly redesigned 2020 GM HD models to arrive so I picked Ford and these are the reasons why:

- Adaptive cruise control
    - Push button start
    - Telescoping steering wheel
    - Remote tailgate release
    - Power telescoping mirrors
    - Auto high beams
    - Rain sensing wipers
    - 7.5g DEF tank
    - 48g fuel tank
    - DEF gauge
    - Trailer TPMS
    - Heated rear seats
    - Seat message
    - Can do manual regens
    - Can see DPF status
    - FORscan
    - HD Radio
    - Pano sunroof

- Auto emergency braking

My loaded Denali didn't have any of these features.

Like all of the GM vehicles I've owned over the years, the Denali was fantastic but the Ford has more trailering specific features that make towing more relaxing and enjoyable for me. All of the big three manufacturers make great trucks today and I wouldn't hesitate to tow my 5th wheel with any of them. It's nice to have such great choices.

As for who sells the most trucks- I personally don't care. Ferrari doesn't sell many cars but they are pretty nice anyway.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Hey bro,
    You forgot to add in the Suburban on your list of vehicles. That way the #'s would look even better.
    All's I see in your post is your personal opinion. Lets see some actual #'s to back it up. They maybe I would believe it.
    The #'s I stated above come right off of Motor Trend. Maybe you should re-read those #'s.
    And if FORD is #1 in BRAND marketing, I'll take it. Its always fun to run with the top dog.
    You are entitled to your opinion & I am entitled to mine.
    Russ
    Russ,

Just talking pickup trucks and total year end sales. Or we can continue to just count the F150 and the Silverado while leaving out GMC which has been a long standing marketing strategy. A lot happens within a single quarter and from one to the next where you can follow this at the end of the year if you like. All three makers have a great truck where it realty boils down to price and what features a potential buyer feels is important. Its never a good idea to leave out other options when it comes to purchasing a product as things are never constant in the auto industry. By the end of the last quarter we can re-tally the numbers, just for pickup trucks if you like. It is also interesting why RAM is deeply discounting trucks and especially with a new model. Rarely is this done where they may be working toward additional market share and trying to win over the brand loyalists. Its a great driving truck. Their interior won them truck of the year which they duly deserve so this may be their strategy.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast