User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I'd been looking at their cords, but would like a connector I could wire onto existing furrion cord.
    I prefer assembled connectors vs the molded type.
    So Conntek sells the 45 degree twist lock so you could replace the straight twist lock on the end of the cord?
    Like this but the twist lock connector?
    Attachment 9658Gene
    Yes, I bought that plug, cut off the factory Furrion plug, and wired it to the original cord. It is a B**th to work with the 6 gauge but it is doable.

FYI, I also bought a 30' 10 Gauge (30 AMP) cord from them with this same connector on it (with a 3 prong 30 AMP male on the other end) for use with my generator or at a 30 AMP site.
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a new player in the shore power cord business for marine applications (and now RV as well).
    I have looked at these connectors at boat shows and they look to be really robust with a positive lock connection, different than the standard twist lock. These are not cheap and I have not purchased yet . . . so, I have no direct experience . . . but this is my "upgrade plan".http://smartplug.com/portfolio-item/...s-steel-inlet/

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SmartPlug.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Let us know how this works out! I have liked at these as well, but have not done anything yet.

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks promising. The only down side I see is the part where you cut the end off of your cord to do the replacement. I had a Camco Replacement Plug short out on me when the wires worked loose from the screws after multiple uses. I should have soldered the connections. I had another one short out when water seeped into it. I don't do replacement plugs any more. I replace the problem cords with new molded connectors from the factory.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    the key failure was the twist lock end of the power cord. It had burned the connections inside the cord end with very little external evidence.
    I know this is an old thread . . . but this problem is still with us and can occur overnight.

I always check that my power cord has no "wobble" as Paul found, that led to discovering the potentially catastrophic failure described in this thread. Yesterday this connection was fine on our similar vintage 303 . . . today the plug had noticeable wobble after plugging it in. (BTW, the lock ring will not fix this) Careful examination finds that the trailer side is fine . . . the contacts inside the end of the cord are charred! . . . just like Pauls @Poppy's 5th Wheel. This happened last night . . . Yikes!

No harm done and I switched to my 30A power cord and adapter.

Key Learning . . . You can't be too vigilant in keeping an eye on the twist lock end of these Furion power cords!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Crap Rob! And those freaking cords are really expensive. I know what I would do if I were you
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Crap Rob! And those freaking cords are really expensive. I know what I would do if I were you
    Hi Paul . . . that thought has crossed my mind . . . I'm just not sure that I want to be sitting around waiting for my next Furrion twist lock connector to fail.

The thing that I find amazing is that the terminals inside the cord end burned overnight (literally). We had minimal to no power draw. No AC and no fireplace. Coffee maker and microwave this morning. Yesterday this cord was a tight fit. (I know because I check every time I plug it in) Today it was as wobbly as yours when you had your electrical problems. This may shed some light on why you didn't notice yours failing until it was too late. The cord and the plug end are fine . . . I just don't trust the twist lock end.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul . . . that thought has crossed my mind . . . I'm just not sure that I want to be sitting around waiting for my next Furrion twist lock connector to fail.

The thing that I find amazing is that the terminals inside the cord end burned overnight (literally). We had minimal to no power draw. No AC and no fireplace. Coffee maker and microwave this morning. Yesterday this cord was a tight fit. (I know because I check every time I plug it in) Today it was as wobbly as yours when you had your electrical problems. This may shed some light on why you didn't notice yours failing until it was too late. The cord and the plug end are fine . . . I just don't trust the twist lock end.

Rob
    That's the reason Rob why I'm so anxious to replace my shore power plug/socket with the SmartPlug you referenced. My twist lock connector wobbles a bit. By chance, I was in West Marine getting some electrical stuff and there was that same product you mentioned. While I was looking at it, a guy behind me said that that was the best investment he's done to his boat (I guess that's what you call a 45' Carver). I asked him why he thought that and he said, "It's too bad I don't have those two twist lock shore power plugs to show you. They get wobbly loose and then it's burnt contact time. I've had a SmartPlug system for two years and it contacts as solid as the first day I installed it." He went on to say that despite his boat being in the water all the time and exposed to salt air, he's never seen any corrosion. He asked what kinda boat I had and I said it was 38 footer. What brand? I said 5th wheel and he let out a laugh.

Last year I called the folks at SmartPlug and got a hold of an engineer/product designer because I wanted to pass along an idea. And that was to make the socket on the RV side such that it sloped at a 45 degree downward angle. This, I felt, would relieve the stress of having the socket/plug being at a right angle to the RV. Oddly enough, he said they were kicking that idea around and had some parts made up for testing and that possibly it might make it to production in 2019. He added, however, that they've done some extensive testing to their current design and they feel it's robust enough to last a very long time. I asked him if they had done any mean time between failure (MTBF) cycle testing and he laughed and said I must be an engineer. But yes, they had a test rig that plugged & unplugged the SmartPlug. I don't recall the exact number of cycles, but it was in the 1500+ range before they noticed any slop in tolerances.

I too was kinda skeptical about cutting off my shore power twist connector and mating the SmartPlug to it. The dude assured me that even a caveman could do it (his exact words).

And no, I haven't done the conversion yet. It's some where on the list that has tile back splash, install "surge protector", install TV in basement, install disc brakes, and on & on & on.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, good info.
    After reading Rob's latest post I decided I'm going to try the SmartPlug.
    Have one on the way B50ASSYPB | 50 Amp - Combo Kit
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Tom, good info.
    After reading Rob's latest post I decided I'm going to try the SmartPlug.
    Have one on the way B50ASSYPB | 50 Amp - Combo Kit
    Hi Gene & Tom @GENESIS . . . I think the SmartPlug is a quality solution to this problem. I kind of put it “further down the list” when I saw the price . . . but when you think of it as an “insurance policy” the price doesn’t seem so bad. My problem is that I have to factor in 30A and 50A cords plus my external surge protector. Going to need more plugs . . . or go to an internal surge protector (that I should have bought in the first place). More $$ .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast