User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-350: Anyone actually use the FX4 option?

Hi all - I'm already planning to get the 4x4 option as insurance to get me out of sandy/snowy situations. My question is on the FX4 upgrade. I really have no intention to go "off roading" with this vehicle. Is there any reason to consider this upgrade? Or is it a waste of money and just added weight? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - I'm already planning to get the 4x4 option as insurance to get me out of sandy/snowy situations. My question is on the FX4 upgrade. I really have no intention to go "off roading" with this vehicle. Is there any reason to consider this upgrade? Or is it a waste of money and just added weight? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    It's interesting that every single truck I looked at on a dealer's lot had the FX4 option installed. The used F-350 I purchased was custom ordered by the original owner and does not have the FX4 option (locking rear differential, skid plates, and heavy duty off-road shock absorbers). For my usage I'm OK without it, but glad my truck has 4x4. (I've already used 4x4 more than once!)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have a Ford , but the locking differential is nice , using it sometimes you do not need 4x4. The rest of the skid plates, shocks and such I could take or leave.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last truck was an FX4 trim level (before they stopped making it) my current truck is 4x4, but does not have the FX4 package. I dont think I ever found a reason to lock the rear differential. In some situations I have needed 4wd with the trailer (previous and current one). I think unless you plan on doing some off roading, there is no need to get the FX4 package.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the FX4 is a waste of money if you are just using your truck just for towing, plus It adds taller tires that raises you bed and rail height. I'd rather have street tires as well
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $400 FX4 package does not include e-locker axle, e-locker is a separate $390 option

The $400 FX4 option includes:
    -Hill Decent Control
    -Fuel tank and transfer case skid plates
    -“Special tuned” shocks
    -FX4 decals

You can order skid plates separately for $100
    You can install Hill Decent Control using forscan software and $10 switch
    The special shocks have limited value
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    The $400 FX4 package does not include e-locker axle, e-locker is a separate $390 option
    I found the information on the internet, so what I posted must be correct.

I went back and dug up my old spreadsheet when I was shopping for my '17 F-250. The '17's FX4 Off Road Package was $295 and you're right--the limited slip differential (with 3.55) was another $390. I'm not going to pretend that I know if "limited slip differential" is the same thing as "e-locking axle". I don't think so, but not 100% sure.

Interesting that Hill Descent can be added through ForScan!

I can't confirm this site's info is accurate but the below was copy & pasted:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FX4 FEATURES AND PRICE
    Depending on which truck you wish to take off-road, then here's a list of the major components of the FX4 package for each Ford truck. Part of the reason for the disparity between some of the functions is due to the different base specs of each respective truck. Additionally, the Ranger is innately more of a capable off-roader because of its smaller stature. For that reason, its FX4 package is considerably more robust (and expensive) than the one offered on the larger truck models.
    Super Duty

Rancho Shocks
    Hill Descent Control
    Skid Plates
    FX4 Decal
    3.73 Electronic Locking Axle (gas engine? Every diesel I looked at came with 3.55 gears)
    Price: $400
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line--if ordering a custom-build I'd have no use for the FX4 package. However, the cost is negligible so it wasn't a make-or-break decision item for me when I looked at trucks on a dealer's lot.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my truck off the lot with the FX4 option. I would not order the package. I have 410 gears and if I had a do over I would choose a different gear ratio. 2017 F350 dually. Its not like a big dually is a serious off road contender. By the time a road gets to the point where we need skid plates we are probably to wide. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've used the FX4 package frequently when out hunting. But otherwise, it's just window dressing if you don't need it.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't those Rancho shocks give it a stiffer ride too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast