User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the square drive screw in my GDRV since you can remove them and re-install without marring up the screw head. What do you think....eh?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey Cqyqte . . . See the Wikipedia link in post 2. Ironically, Phillips are designed to "cam out" with over torque and Robertson are designed not to. A key difference . . . and why all of your Phillips screwdrivers are stripped, but your Robertsons keep on working .

Rob
    That "cam out" may be a good thing in a factory setting where the average operator has a tendency to torque a low quality fastener too high and fracture the heads off. (GDRV, are you listening?}

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Whilst on the subject... I use a Combination bit from Bosch that combines the Phillips and the square drive.

This bit is extremely useful when working on the RV (since you never know what screw was used beforehand).

Here is a Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Bosch-P2R.../dp/B012CD50AM

I really like these bits and have been using them for years.
    Hi David,

I have noticed that US versions of Robertson square drive screw heads often have the corners of the square extended so that you can get a Phillips screwdriver in there. I thought this was just for those who didn't have a Robertson bit. I didn't realize that there was actually a P2R2 bit for these! I don't think that P2R2 bit would get into a Robertson only (R2) screw because of the the Philips (P2) extensions.

It never ceases to amaze me, what I learn on this forum .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi David,

I have noticed that US versions of Robertson square drive screw heads often have the corners of the square extended so that you can get a Phillips screwdriver in there. I thought this was just for those who didn't have a Robertson bit. I didn't realize that there was actually a P2R2 bit for these! I don't think that P2R2 bit would get into a Robertson only (R2) screw because of the the Philips (P2) extensions.

It never ceases to amaze me, what I learn on this forum .

Rob
    These Bosch bits actually work very well for both Robertson and Philips head screws (they are the only bit I use). I just used a Phillips screwdriver on some of those "Extended Corner" screws you mentioned and it did not work very well, the Phillips couldn't tighten the screw enough, I wound up using the P2R2 bit on the screws to get them tight.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to throw some charcoal fluid onto the fire. There are 2 different Philips styles US #x and JIS #x JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. It is used in the automotive industry, Motorcycle industry and of course what I'm in the wide format printer industry. For my work, I have a set of set of JIS screwdrivers which cost an arm and a leg in my eyes since they are not really easily replaced. You can use a standard #2 US on the screws but your cam out rate is greater. Of course, you can't just use one length for everything, I need a 100, 150, 200 mm shaft to reach the various screw locations. Now my tool bag got a bit heavier with a change in the business model to use Torx screws that some of the newer equipment is using. Lastly, my carrier of choice has gone from a HD/ Husky 18 inch tool bag to a Veto Pro Pac backpack. I did clean out some of the redundant tooling like hex keys and the like. It's easier to carry my tools on site with a smaller foot print.

Now come the RV side of things it's the Square #2 or some say Robertson drive. I finally broke down and purchase one for my trailer last year after using a 6 in 1 tool for yes a #2 square bit and the 1/4 inch side of the 6 in 1 tool.

Howson, I hope you a clutch driving your screws in. That 18-20V Dewalt looks a little overkill for most RV related items. I recently picked up a Bosch 12V drill driver/ 1/4 inch impact set from Lowe's for work. It has been a thing of beauty for the projects I have used it on. I was seriously looking at the Milwaukee combo set in 12V at HD but the price point and specs was better on the Bosch and the tool rated just as well as the Milwaukee.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Howson, I hope you a clutch driving your screws in.
    Absolutely! I have a nephew that works for DeWalt, so I'm "all in" with their tools (almost).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Just to throw some charcoal fluid onto the fire. There are 2 different Philips styles US #x and JIS #x JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. It is used in the automotive industry, Motorcycle industry and of course what I'm in the wide format printer industry. For my work, I have a set of set of JIS screwdrivers which cost an arm and a leg in my eyes since they are not really easily replaced. You can use a standard #2 US on the screws but your cam out rate is greater. Of course, you can't just use one length for everything, I need a 100, 150, 200 mm shaft to reach the various screw locations. Now my tool bag got a bit heavier with a change in the business model to use Torx screws that some of the newer equipment is using. Lastly, my carrier of choice has gone from a HD/ Husky 18 inch tool bag to a Veto Pro Pac backpack. I did clean out some of the redundant tooling like hex keys and the like. It's easier to carry my tools on site with a smaller foot print.

Now come the RV side of things it's the Square #2 or some say Robertson drive. I finally broke down and purchase one for my trailer last year after using a 6 in 1 tool for yes a #2 square bit and the 1/4 inch side of the 6 in 1 tool.

Howson, I hope you a clutch driving your screws in. That 18-20V Dewalt looks a little overkill for most RV related items. I recently picked up a Bosch 12V drill driver/ 1/4 inch impact set from Lowe's for work. It has been a thing of beauty for the projects I have used it on. I was seriously looking at the Milwaukee combo set in 12V at HD but the price point and specs was better on the Bosch and the tool rated just as well as the Milwaukee.
    (uh - ohhhh....minor hi-jack coming)

When I first started riding/racing motorcycles (which was when God was Corporal), the first thing everybody did, if you were racing a Japanese bike, was to remove ALL of the Phillips head fasteners and replace them with Allen Head screws. The metal was ridiculously soft. Just removing one for the first time would result in the lands being reamed out if you didn't have a hammer style impact. HA! I still have the hammer style impact that I bought waaaaay back then. If there was a JIS in those days - Honda didn't adhere to it.

The Bosch 12V is an awesome impact. It's a good clone of the Milwaukee Fuel 12V impact that most of us use at the shop. Both have a rating of 930 in-lbs (max) which is darn near 80 ft-lbs. Way more than most wood screw type fasteners require. DeWalt has kept up with the Joneses by introducing their own 12V 1/4" impact. Personally, I like the "form factor" of the Milwaukee & Bosch handle. Seems more balanced. Anyhow....I'd dare say that the newer 12V offerings would take care of any "driver" needs on an RV with the exception of the lug nuts.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This last go around I went with a set of Milwaukee M18 for home use. They had a 4 piece set on sale at Home Depot several months ago. It came with 2 3.0 Amp batteries, 1/2 inch chucked drill driver, 1/4 inch impact driver, Sawsall, and LED light for something like 350 dollars. My Dewalts use the older 18 volt power packs which were good for in their day about 14 years ago. They still work. The batteries still charge but they don't get the mileage they once got. The drill now smokes when you drill anything over 1/2 inch in diameter. Many times it wanted the low speed to get through the material like wood. I completed the job with my Ryobi cordless drill to the work but it doesn't have everything I wanted in the drill. Its a nice kit and i used it on my tasks at the old De Walt was getting heavy and lack of performing. However, I always came back to my Milwaukee corded tools when i was dealing with something that needed serious power.

When the time came to start thinking about replacement of the tools. I knew going in it was going to be a pricey choice. So went to look around. I did look at De walt first since I got good service. However I could see the product changed. I tried a couple of the De walt 20V and I was not really impressed. I checked out Hitachi and Bosch while at Lowe's. Since Home Depot is only a couple of minutes away. I did a shopping trip there too. Since I frequent Harbor Freight, I looked at their Hercules line up. I actually thought it was better than Ryobi and on par with the Rigid. It was close but for the price point with the lack of a real warranty were the drawbacks. Which is a shame cause I find some of their stuff pretty good bang for the buck like the tool boxes. I have at least 3 of them between work and home. Anyway, while at Home Depot, Milwaukee had their sale and tool and battery upgrades are a nice thing. So when I was pricing every thing out, it was pretty clear the M18 non fuel package was really a solid bang for the buck. Bonus I got to pretty much use them from the start. Fixed a few deck boards. Created a heated space for a science project. Some other small odds and ends around the house. I took them into work for a project there. The weight and the power was really nice to have. However in work, 18 volt would be overkill for pretty much everything I deal with.

Thinking back when I was looking, I remember checking out the Bosch line up. I thought the 12 volt was on par with Milwaukee. Ergonomics is pretty close. I liked the balance and feel in my hands. So I went to Home Depot and looked at the Milwaukee's 12 volt line up. The sale in which I bought my 18 volt set was long over. The pricing on the 12 volt line up was OK nothing great. So I figured if the price is right, I will go with that brand. When I compared the Bosch to the Milwaukee at that time, the Bosch had a higher stock AH battery and it was slightly better speced at the price point. So I checked out the tool again and said I will go with Bosch this go around. So far, I am very impressed with the tool. I have mainly worked with the drill driver since it more suited to the nature of my work. The balance is nice when working in small spaces or tight spots. I am sure the M12 would work just as well if the price point was there too. Either way it was a good deal for me.

I am not trashing anyone's choices in tool brands. I am also not a tool loyalist either. I tend to do some research on something I am less familiar with like the Bosch set. I could have easily gone with a M12 set up for work. However, I found the Bosch tool set on par and for less money and more bang.

back to your regularly scheduled program...
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reach for this little guy for most jobs in the camper and around the house. I now own 3; basement work bench, garage, and camper.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12