User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S3000T View Post
    That bad huh? So is 8mpg towing a good average? Is going 6.7 diesel worth the extra expense?
    I'm glad I have a diesel. I haven't met a mountain that could slow me down. I probably average 9+ while towing and 19-ish when not.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on how you travel. We bought a 2017 Class A and 2017 Jeep Wrangle as a toad behind the coach. Currently, have 24,800 miles on our Coach and 15,100 on our Jeep. Most of our trips are 14 to 20 days and round trip mileage is about 1500 to 2500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Remember to consider what you want to be driving for the "non-towing" miles . . . which will be the vast majority, even if you are full-timing. If this truck is to be your daily driver, 75% to 95% of the miles will bind e non-towing. Getting a truck that can handle the towing, but is a better match for your daily driving expectations, is worth considering.

Rob
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to consider what you want to be driving for the "non-towing" miles . . . which will be the vast majority, even if you are full-timing. If this truck is to be your daily driver, 75% to 95% of the miles will be non-towing. Getting a truck that can handle the towing, but is a better match for your daily driving expectations, is worth considering.

Rob
    Yes but does the 6.7 diesel get better mpg than the 6.2 gas...even in nontowing use?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but does the 6.7 diesel get better mpg than the 6.2 gas...even in nontowing use?
    Since the two fuels cost different amounts, you really should compare miles per dollar, not miles per gallon. Currently this would probably put the gasoline engine ahead . . . but, that is an always changing calculation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, at least mine does.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this stays within the spirit of discussion and someone finds it beneficial. I agree with Rob that for SOME, another way to look at is from a $/mile standpoint. Each situation is going to be different. For some its cost, for some its ability and honestly for some its pride. When I got a new truck it was about the cost. I bought a new truck and knew I'd be buying a camper too. But I was aware of my parameters. I don't pull in the mountains, I dont use my truck as a daily driver, I drive about 8,000 miles a year, 90% of miles are not towing, diesel option was $10k more, diesel fuel is $0.40/gallon more than gasoline. With those figures in mind and using an unrealistic 10 mpg fuel economy gain if I went diesel, it would take 11 years just to pay off the initial cost of the diesel. The $/mile just wasn't there.

Each person's situation is their own and they need to decide how their situation will point toward one or the other. One other quick point is that none of the diesel trucks I camp with get a 10 mpg improvement over my gasser. Towing or not. It's more like equal to about 3 mpg. Sorry to the moderators if that was over an acceptable level of the gas vs. diesel topic.
    Last edited by jasonl78; 04-21-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the two fuels cost different amounts, you really should compare miles per dollar, not miles per gallon. Currently this would probably put the gasoline engine ahead . . . but, that is an always changing calculation.

Rob
    Rob...so you are using the ecoboost? V6? What your mpg look like?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to the original poster. I should have mentioned that my Ram 3500 with 6.4l Hemi gets around 12 mpg in the winter (not towing), around 15-19 in the summer (not towing) and 8 to 9 towing. Just thought I'd add that as a datapoint.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other consideration between gas and diesel. When I bought diesel was about 7800.00 option and I got 13% off MSRP so the option cost me about 6800.00. I looked at the three-year-old truck in Edmunds and the diesel option at that time added 7100.00 to the price of the used truck. In my area, a diesel truck on the used market sells for top dollar in just days instead of taking a beating trading it into a dealer. I was pulling between 13,000 and 14,000 pounds and in the Rookies so went diesel not only for the torque but the engine braking also.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Hopefully this stays within the spirit of discussion and someone finds it beneficial. I agree with Rob that for SOME, another way to look at is from a $/mile standpoint. Each situation is going to be different. For some its cost, for some its ability and honestly for some its pride. When I got a new truck it was about the cost. I bought a new truck and knew I'd be buying a camper too. But I was aware of my parameters. I don't pull in the mountains, I dont use my truck as a daily driver, I drive about 8,000 miles a year, 90% of miles are not towing, diesel option was $10k more, diesel fuel is $0.40/gallon more than gasoline. With those figures in mind and using an unrealistic 10 mpg fuel economy gain if I went diesel, it would take 11 years just to pay off the initial cost of the diesel. The $/mile just wasn't there.

Each person's situation is their own and they need to decide how their situation will point toward one or the other. One other quick point is that none of the diesel trucks I camp with get a 10 mpg improvement over my gasser. Towing or not. It's more like equal to about 3 mpg. Sorry to the moderators if that was over an acceptable level of the gas vs. diesel topic.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 04-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob...so you are using the ecoboost? V6? What your mpg look like?
    Averaged 10 MPG towing (over 24,000 towing miles, usually at 60 MPH). About 19 MPG not towing . . . usually quite a bit faster than 60 MPH .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast