User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2970rl: get 3/4 ton truck or Ford 150 eco-boost?

I read some posts that say an imagine 2970rl is really a huge trailer and you really need a 3/4 ton truck to stay within numbers. Now i see posts about the Ford 150 eco-boost being able to "safely" pull a 2970rl. I really need clarification before I purchase the truck and trailer. Thanks for any input.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can answer that question - Yes - NO - Maybe Half ton trucks are made in a lot of flavors. You can have one with 1300 pounds payload or one with more payload than most 3/4 ton diesel. In my opinion, the towing experience will be better with the 3/4 ton and above. Along with payload, you need to watch hitch ratings and that number will be on the hitch itself. Now your specs and shop for a truck that exceeds those specs and a wise man told me to shop for a truck that will pull your next RV.

Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    I read some posts that say an imagine 2970rl is really a huge trailer and you really need a 3/4 ton truck to stay within numbers. Now i see posts about the Ford 150 eco-boost being able to "safely" pull a 2970rl. I really need clarification before I purchase the truck and trailer. Thanks for any input.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your opinion. Husband does not want to pay for a diesel engine. So we are planning gas. Any concerns regarding 3/4 ton gas truck?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my personal opinion and it's worth exactly nothing. I would never buy a 3/4 Ton truck I would go straight to 1-ton truck since there is very little cost difference always planning for the current RV and the next RV. I don't know any problems you would have with the TT you are looking at and 3/4 ton gas. Maybe some on else more knowledge then me will chime in since I have only owned one TT in life.

Thanks for your opinion. Husband does not want to pay for a diesel engine. So we are planning gas. Any concerns regarding 3/4 ton gas truck?
    Last edited by CWSWine; 04-23-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todays hd gas engines are strong, powerful and dependable. I have a 28000bh and pull it with a Ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi. It's a great tow vehicle and way more than a match for that camper. Your 2970 is bigger than my 2800, but you would have no problem pulling it with my truck.
    I would not try pulling a 2970 with a half ton truck. Most half tons have plenty of power but the suspension and lighter weight of the truck itself are the problem. Anything over 30 ft is three quarter ton territory. This is my opinion based on trying to pull a 2800, which is 32 ft long, with a Ram 1500.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 3170BH with a Chevy 2500HD Gas. I thought about getting a F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow Package, but finally decided to stay with my 3/4 ton not because of the weight but the stability of being 37 foot long on the camper. I feel the 1/2 ton would feel sketchy while traveling.
    2015 Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Imagine 3170BH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask how do you intend to use the trailer? Weekend trips close to home with a few medium mileage trips? Or are you going to go cross country or hilly/mountainous regions? I think it makes a difference. A very specific 1/2 ton with the right specs can do it but not very well.

We had the 2950RL (older version of the 2970RL same specs) Your looking at a 9000# GVWR trailer and your tongue weight will run right at 1000# with just the propane tanks and a battery, between 1200-1500# loaded depending on how you load in and if you carry a lot of fresh water. The fresh water holding tank is just about 2 feet back from the hitch. That trailer is over 35 feet long tip of the hitch to the back bumper. It is a heavy trailer.

We towed ours with a 2002 3/4 ton Dodge 5.9L Diesel short bed with 3.55 gears. It struggled in really hilly areas because of the gear ratio, the short bed allowed the trailer to push the truck around some. We never went more than @ 200 miles from home and it did fine.
    For weekend or short mileage trips, a half ton, long bed, with 3.7X gear ratio or better, heavy duty suspension with the correct towing / payload specs is borderline for that trailer. You will not be able to use all the transmission gears, you will have to gear down (tow/haul mode) so the RPMs of the engine will rise. You are going to use up all that type of truck has to offer. No way would I start across country with that set up.

Its really 3/4 ton truck territory. But like someone else said, plan for the next trailer after this one.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jabhoyt,

As you can see from my signature, I tow a 10,000 lb 5th wheel with an Ecoboost F150. As Dennis says, half tons come in many flavours . . . payloads from about 1000 lbs to over 2500 lbs. If you wanted to even consider an F150, it should have the max payload option. This is usually a factory order option and is considerably beyond the max tow package normally stocked by dealers.

However . . . the limitation on any half ton will be the hitch receiver capacity. All half tons (regardless of payload) have a Class IV hitch limited to 1200 lbs. With the Imagine 2970RL having a dry hitch weight of 800 lbs, you are going to be pushing that 1200 lb limit (ready for camping) unless you pack very carefully.

The Ecoboost can easily handle the towing weight of the 2970RL . . . but, (in my opinion) you need a Class V hitch . . . which means a 3/4 ton truck. Ford does not offer the Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton . . . that is a whole other discussion!

Unless, you want to go for a 5th wheel with the weight up over the rear axle . . . in that case, the "right" F150 can get the job done .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a big trailer. It is nearly identical in weight and length to my Reflection 297RSTS. I pull mine with a 2009 Tundra which is a 1/2 ton. I am at my limits for the Tundra and about 300 lbs over payload. The Tundra handles the trailer well, stops great and pulls the trailer without any issues. Tundra's also come with a Class IV+ hitch as defined by Toyota so my tongue weight is also not an issue. All in all very happy with the way the Tundra pulls and handles the trailer. I knew I was at my limits with the truck when I bought the trailer. Also knew I would be getting a new truck before another new trailer.

All that said if I was buying a truck specifically for this trailer or your Imagine I would consider going 3/4 or 1 ton as it gives some margin on the ratings. Once the time comes to trade in the Tundra I will need to see what is on the market, what our plans are for future trailer and then decide. Today's 1/2 ton trucks are rated like 3/4 ton 10 - 15 years ago. Who knows what will be on the market in 2 - 3 years when I plan to start shopping.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi jabhoyt,

As you can see from my signature, I tow a 10,000 lb 5th wheel with an Ecoboost F150. As Dennis says, half tons come in many flavours . . . payloads from about 1000 lbs to over 2500 lbs. If you wanted to even consider an F150, it should have the max payload option. This is usually a factory order option and is considerably beyond the max tow package normally stocked by dealers.

However . . . the limitation on any half ton will be the hitch receiver capacity. All half tons (regardless of payload) have a Class IV hitch limited to 1200 lbs. With the Imagine 2970RL having a dry hitch weight of 800 lbs, you are going to be pushing that 1200 lb limit (ready for camping) unless you pack very carefully.

The Ecoboost can easily handle the towing weight of the 2970RL . . . but, (in my opinion) you need a Class V hitch . . . which means a 3/4 ton truck. Ford does not offer the Ecoboost in a 3/4 ton . . . that is a whole other discussion!

Unless, you want to go for a 5th wheel with the weight up over the rear axle . . . in that case, the "right" F150 can get the job done .

Rob
    What you are referring to up above is actually listed as the HDPP......Heavy Duty Payload Package. It is separate from the Max Tow Package. Normally it will get you in the 2600-2700 lb payload range on your F150.....but as you said, you will be hard pressed to find one on almost any dealer's lot.....99 times out of 100 they have to be ordered with that package.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast